1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing The Gravitational Force At A Point

1. Jun 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (a) Compute the vector gravitational field at a point P on the perpendicular bisector of the line joining two objects of equal mass separated by a distance 2a as shown in Figure P13.26. (b) Explain physically why the field should approach zero as r ---> 0. (c) Prove mathematically that the answer to part (a) behaves in this way. (d) Explain physically why the magnitude of the field should approach 2*(GM/r^2) as r --> infinity. (e) Prove mathematically that the answer to part (a) behaves correctly in this limit.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]\vec{F}_0 = -2 \frac{Gmm_p}{\sqrt{r^2 + a^2}} \hat{i}[/itex] is the equation I generated.

From the diagram, it is evident that, as r approaches zero, the point of interest becomes located in between the two fixed masses; furthermore, one can see that the two masses with pull equally in the j-hat direction, but anti-parallel, thereby causing all gravitational forces produced by the two masses to cancel. However, why is it that, when taking the limit as r --> 0, the mathematics does not show this?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Your expression for the force is not dimensionally consistent, and so must be wrong. (You need GMm divided by a length squared; you have GMm divided by a length.)

It's usual to use M for the mass of fixed bodies and m for the mass of a test particle.

For each body, you need to determine the component in the [itex]\hat i[/itex] direction of a force of magnitude GMm/(r^2 + a^2) directed along the line from (r,0) to the centre of the relevant body, and then add the two.

4. Jun 26, 2013 #3
    Okay, I see that there shouldn't be a square root symbol in the denominator; however, I don't see what else is wrong with it. Both bodies pull equally in the [itex]-\hat{i}[/itex] direction.

5. Jun 26, 2013 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Both bodies pull directly towards themselves. So, two force vectors, neither of which is directed along the [itex]-\hat{i}[/itex] direction. What's the vector resultant?

6. Jun 26, 2013 #5
    All right, let's see if I have properly determined the forces this time.

For one mass: [itex]\vec{F}_M = - \cos \theta \frac{GMm}{a^2 + r^2} \hat{i}[/itex], where [itex]\theta = arrcos(\frac{r}{\sqrt{r^2 + a^2}})[/itex]

Is this correct?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  7. Jun 26, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted