Computing with rational exponets

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties in solving the integral from -1 to 1 of (x^4/3 + 4x^1/3) dx. The resulting answer is 6/7, but there is confusion on how to compute certain algebraic expressions, specifically 3/7(1)^7/3 and 4 3/4(1)^4/3. The correct values for these expressions are 3/7 and 3, respectively. This is due to errors in formatting and interpreting the exponents, both in the conversation and in the use of a calculator.
Jimmy84

Homework Statement

Solve [tex]\int_-1^1 (x^{4/3} + 4 x^{1/3}) dx [/tex]

Im having difficulties in algebra when solving this problem.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int_-1^1 (x^4/3 + 4 x^1/3) dx [/tex] = 3/7 (1)^7/3 + 4 3/4 (1)^4/3 - 3/7 (-1)^7/3 + 4 3/4 (-1)^4/3

= 3/7 + 3 - (-3/7 +3) = 6/7

Im having difficulties computing 3/7 (1)^7/3 and 4 3/4 (1)^4/3

since 1^ 7/3 = 1/3 and 3/7 1/3 = 1/ 7 and tahts not the answer on the book

and (1)^4/3 = 1/3 and that's not right either.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I meant the integral from -1 to 1 of (x^4/3 + 4 x^1/3)

You don't show the antiderivative of x4/3 + 4x1/3, which is an intermediate step for what you're doing. What did you get for that?

With some effort I could do this, but you're the one who should be doing this, not me.

Also, this problem should be in Calculus and Beyond, not Precalculus.

The problem is already solved in my book so I already gave the answer here. I just don't understand how to compute some algebra.

I don't know what is the result of 3/7 (1)^7/3 and of 4 3/4 (1)^4/3

since 1^ 7/3 = 1/3 and 3/7 1/3 = 1/ 7 and that's a different answer from the result on my book.

Which says that 3/7 (1)^7/3 = 3/7

and that 4 3/4 (1)^4/3 = 3

Thats all I am looking for, I am not sure what was done to get those results.

[tex]\frac{3}{7}\left(1\right)^{7/3}=\frac{3}{7}[/tex]

since

[tex]1^{7/3}=1[/tex] and to right this in text, you would have to say 1^(7/3) and not (1)^7/3

but if the question were shown differently such as how you expressed it (1)^7/3, this is read as:

[tex]\frac{1^7}{3}=\frac{1}{3}[/tex]

Now, can you also figure out why the second one is wrong? It should be written as 4(3/4).1^(4/3)
note: the dot before the 1 just means multiplication.

thanks, I am sorry, when trying it with my calculator I got a different result. I used the key ^

You probably made the same error on your calculator that you did in LaTex here!

In Latex, to get the entire fraction in the exponent use { } around it. Otherwise Latex interprets "x^1/3" as "(x^1)3". You need "x^{1/3}" (not just parentheses because LaTex treats parentheses as just another symbol).

Similarly, on your calculator, if you enter "x^1/3" your calculator will give you (x^1)/3 or just x divided by 3. Here you do use parentheses: x^(1/3).

1. What are rational exponents?

Rational exponents are exponents that are expressed as fractions. They are a way of representing powers or roots of numbers that are not whole numbers.

2. How do you compute with rational exponents?

To compute with rational exponents, you can use the properties of exponents. For example, the property (am)n = amn can be used to simplify expressions with rational exponents.

3. Can rational exponents be negative?

Yes, rational exponents can be negative. For example, x-1/2 is equivalent to 1/√x.

4. Why are rational exponents useful?

Rational exponents allow us to represent numbers that are not whole numbers in a more compact and convenient form. They also allow us to perform operations on these numbers more easily.

5. How are rational exponents related to radicals?

Rational exponents and radicals are two different ways of representing the same mathematical concept. For example, x1/2 is equivalent to √x. Rational exponents can be thought of as a more general form of radicals, as they allow us to represent not just square roots, but any root or power of a number.