1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

COMSOL Natural Convection Thermosyphon Convergence Problem

1. Jul 15, 2010 #1
    Hello,
    Im having some problems with COMSOL multiphysics 3.5a. I am using 2D weakly compressible flow with general heat transfer and am trying to model a natural convection loop.

The Approach I have taken is to use properties of the material for a certain range of temperatures to model the variations in density with temperature which are responsible for the natural convection loop.

I have got the model working only for very small temperature difference (1degK) but above this temperature difference the model goes haywire. I was wondering if anyone has any insights into this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2011 #2
    Are you sure you should be using 2D weakly compressible flow? I feel like you should be using something else. Did anyone figure this out!? THANKS

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Jul 21, 2011 #3
    Yeah i had the same problem/ I think the material temperature is off with the variations in density.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook