1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concept Check for two Green Theorems Problems

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

**The book I'm working from doesn't have solutions for even numbered problems and the two problems I'm about to show you guys are even, so if you guys don't mind, I would just like to know if I have the right concept, or if I messed up anywhere. I wouldn't have a way of knowing since there aren't answers for the two problems in the back of the book.**

For the following problems use Green’s Theorem to evaluate the given line integral around the
    curve C, traversed counterclockwise.

1. Closed integral of C(e^(x^2)+ y^2) dx + (e^(y^2)+ x^2) dy; C is the boundary of the triangle with vertices (0,0),(4, 0) and (0, 4)

2. Evaluate closed integral of C (e^x sin y) dx + (y^3 + e^x cos y) dy, where C is the boundary of the rectangle with vertices (1, −1), (1, 1), (−1, 1) and (−1, −1), traversed counterclockwise.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[1] I got 0 for the answer. We see that P = e^(x^2)+ y^2 and Q = e^(y^2)+ x^2, so taking derivative of Q w/ respect to x we obtain 2x and taking derivative of P w/ respect to y we obtain 2y. Therefore we have the double integral w/ both integrands ranging from [0,4] of 2x - 2y.

[2] I got 0 for the answer here also. We see that P = e^x sin y and Q = y^3 + e^x cos y, so taking derivative of Q w/ respect to x we obtain e^x cos y and taking derivative of P w/ respect to y we obtain e^x cos y as well. Therefore we have the double integral w/ both integrands ranging from [-1,1] of e^x cos y - e^x cos y ( or 0 and therefore answer is 0).

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2011 #2
    Your answers are correct but in the first problem your int dx should run from 0 to 4-y. It came out the same this time, however.

4. Aug 3, 2011 #3
    Ahhh, I see. Is that because the diagonal of the triangle is the line 4-y?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook