Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concept of boson and fermion applied to atoms and more

1. Jul 8, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

Sometime I read that the helium atoms can be considered as boson, but I don't understand why. I know that its nucleous has a spin of 2 (integer) and that its 2 electrons gives the atom a total spin of 3, an integer.
    But then why isn't hydrogen considered also as a boson? I think it's considered as a fermion, like the electron itself. Why? The total spin of the H atom isn't 1 (thus an integer)? It seems like only the nucleous is the only important thing in deciding whether an atom can be considered as a boson or fermion, why is it so? And if I have a molecule, how do I determine whether it's a boson or fermion?
    In Wikipedia one can read
    and also
    where the enphasis is mine.
    Can someone explain me when I can call a particle/atom/molecule a boson?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2012 #2
    It depends on spin. Composite particles with an even number of fermions is a boson with integer total spin. Particles composed of an odd number of fermions is a fermion with half-integer total spin.

A proton by itself is a fermion ( 3 quarks). A hydrogen atom has four fermions- 3 quarks and an electron- and is considered a boson.

ETA:
    A hydrogen molecule (H2) consists of two bosons and is a boson.

That wiki page should read particle.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  4. Jul 8, 2012 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok thank you very, very much! So in a way I'm either a fermion or boson. :tongue:

5. Jul 9, 2012 #4
    I'm also wondering about something related. So hydrogen molecules are bosons. However, when they interact, do they behave as bosons? Why does liquid hydrogen not display superfluidity as helium, both the 3 and 4 versions do?

Is there a size scale at which composite bosons no longer display the properties of bosons?

6. Jul 9, 2012 #5

DrDu

Science Advisor

Hydrogen freezes before it can get superfluid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook