1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Physics Conceptual Physics 9th Edition Paul Hewitt

1. Apr 26, 2015 #1
    Hello,
    I bought conceptual physics 9th edition by Paul Hewitt. A teach recommended it to me to study conceptual physics/conceptual physics GRE problems. I can't find a teacher's manual or answer key though. It seems pointless to work though problems without it. Does anyone know if this exists or can they offer anouther resource? I never took high school physics and in a weird place where I can do some of the quantum questions but get conceptual mechanics/E and M questions wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/Conceptual-P...r=1-1&keywords=conceptual+physics+9th+edition

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2015 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Those are meant for teachers (of course). (Instructors can request them through their institution.)

That said, I believe they do sell "Practice Books" to accompany the textbook. Check amazon.

You can also pick up a Schaum's outline kind of book with practice problems.

If you need help with particular problems, you can can get that right here in our "Homework Help" section. ;)

4. Apr 26, 2015 #3

verty

Homework Helper

Try the Schaum's 3000 solved problems book.

I can think of no better remedy than to see problems solved. You can practice writing out the solution, then try it for yourself. Remember that problems are very important, you should at least knów how to solve every problem in a chapter before moving on. If there are questions you don't know how to solve, there is more to learn about that topic.

5. Apr 26, 2015 #4
    Verty, does Schaum's 3000 Solved Problems book cover conceptual physics questions, Freshman mechanics-Modern physics or junior and senior level physics?

6. Apr 27, 2015 #5

verty

Homework Helper

It's not going to have conceptual questions in the sense that they would ask things like, "Explain the law of conservation of energy and illustrate it with two plausible examples", it'll be stuff like "find the kinetic energy of the bob after the bullet strikes it". Each question will be a straightforward calculation more or less, or something definite that you need to calculate, and the difficulty will be to draw a sketch, fill in all the information, decide what you can calculate from that information and then find a path that leads you to the answer. Perhaps you are given the impulse and must the speed of the bullet, then use that with conservation of momentum to find the speed of the bob, etc. It'll be a chain of steps like that but they will start out very simple and there will be many questions to practice on so I'm sure all you will find that it is a gradual slope and there will be many questions to practice on.

And remember you can ask any question here, it can even be simple stuff. So suppose you don't even know where to start, people can of course give advice and they will quickly see that you need help and will give it.

I haven't seen that actual book but I can sense that the issue you have is with problems, and I always believed that the best way to overcome a fear of something is by tackling small examples head on. And that is the point, if you don't look at the journey but only the next step, it shouldn't be so hard. I mean, of all the questions in the book, surely you can solve question 1, right? Or if you can't, it's bound to be very easy and you could look it up. And continue like that. If you can do question 1, surely you could also do question 2. And eventually, continuing like that, one at a time, you will learn how it all works and it'll become easier.

Best of luck.

-- edit --
    Sorry, I didn't answer your question. There is this 3000 questions one and another one called College Physics with 744 problems. I see the following in one of the reviews of that book:

This leads me to suspect the 3000 physics questions has calculus questions and non-calculus questions. I think it must be quite broad in scope. You could of course skip all the calculus questions and that would be fine. It does say on the cover that it can be used for noncalculus physics.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted