1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(conceptual) question about asymptotes

1. Apr 19, 2016 #1
    I don't think this question requires the template. Basically can some one simply explain something to me regarding asymptotes:

The rules are that for horizontal the numerator has to have a higher power. For slant / oblique the numerator has to be just 1 higher than the denominator.

How do you not confuse the two? How can you tell which is which?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2016 #2
    I think one can derive those observations by finding out dy/dx and study its behavior as x or/and y tend to infinity. I do not think there can be any other explanation than mathematical based on calculus and algebra, which includes the process of evaluating limits. Also what you are telling may be necessary but not sufficient condition. Think over that too.

4. Apr 20, 2016 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

From "numerator has to have a higher power" I assume you're talking about rational functions, which are quotients of polynomials. If the degree of the numerator (function on top) is one larger than the degree of the denominator (function on bottom), there is an oblique asymptote. (If the degree of the numerator is larger by two or more, there is no straight line asymptote.)

If the degree of the denominator is equal to the degree of the numerator, there is a horizontal asymptote that is either above or below the horizontal axis. Its equation is ##y = \frac{a_n}{b_n}##, where ##a_n## is the coefficient of the highest degree term in the numerator, and ##b_n## is the coefficient of the highest degree term in the denominator.

If the degree of the numerator is less than that of the denominator, the x-axis is the horizontal asymptote.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted