Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual trouble with derivatives with respect to Arc Length

1. Oct 17, 2014 #1
    Hi,

So I'm working through a bunch of problems involving gradient vectors and derivatives to try to better understand it all, and one specific thing is giving me trouble.

I have a general function that defines a change in Temperature with respect to position (x,y). So for example, dT/dt would be the change in temperature with respect to time, which is implied to mean (dT/dx*dx/dt + dT/dy*dy/dt) by the Chain Rule. I understand this, and understand that dx/dt or dy/dt refers to the velocity (change in x & y position with respect to time).

However, it then asks for dT/ds, the change in temperature with respect to arc length.

I know that dT/ds would equate to dT/dt*dt/ds, where dt is velocity, and so dT/dt = (grad)T * v, but the answer shows that dt/ds is v / |v|, which implies that the derivative of time with respect to arc length is the unit tangent vector. I can't wrap my head around that, and I'm having a hard time seeing this either graphically or conceptually. Why is the derivative of time with respect to arc length the unit tangent vector? Thanks~

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your post appears to be confusing two different things.

ds/dt can be used to represent a velocity.

dT/ds does not have to be expanded using the chain rule into dT/dt* dt/ds (note: dt/ds is not the same as ds/dt) unless there is some reason for this. A temperature which is varying with time would be one reason.

dT/ds could simply represent a temperature gradient along some arbitrary path, whose differential length element is ds. Knowing something about the geometry of this arbitrary path could lead to expressions for dT/dx and dT/dy by applying the chain rule.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook