Condition for resolution of two point sources of light

  • Thread starter Thread starter songoku
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Resolution
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 1K views
songoku
Messages
2,520
Reaction score
395
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
##\theta=1.22 \frac{\lambda}{b}##
1712282564500.png


The formula is ##\theta=1.22 \frac{\lambda}{b}## where b is the diameter of circular aperture

I thought it would be ##\theta \geq 0.61 \frac{\lambda}{r}## since diameter = 2 x radius but the answer is (D)

Do we just consider ##r \approx b## since maybe it is small or am I missing something else?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Homework Statement: Please see below
Relevant Equations: ##\theta=1.22 \frac{\lambda}{b}##

View attachment 342834

The formula is ##\theta=1.22 \frac{\lambda}{b}## where b is the diameter of circular aperture

I thought it would be ##\theta \geq 0.61 \frac{\lambda}{r}## since diameter = 2 x radius but the answer is (D)

Do we just consider ##r \approx b## since maybe it is small or am I missing something else?

Thanks
I agree with you.

The Rayleigh Criterion says that when two distant lights sources (wavelength, ##\lambda\,##) are viewed through a circular aperture of diameter, ##D##, they may be resolved provided that there angular separation, ##\theta## (in radians) is such that

##\displaystyle \quad \quad \theta \ge 1.22 \dfrac{\lambda}{D} \ .##

Since ##D=2r## , I agree that the correct answer is C) .