Conditional Probabilities in Tennis

In summary, the problem involves a tennis match between two players where the game is currently at deuce. The outcome of each rally is independent and one player has a probability p of winning a rally. The events W, G, and D represent the player winning the game, the game ending after the next two rallies, and the game returning to deuce again, respectively. The solution involves finding P(W|G) and showing that P(W) can be determined using P(W|D) and P(D), as well as explaining why the two solutions are the same.
Gridvvk

Homework Statement

This isn't really homework, just reviewing for a test. This is problem 3.17 in 'A modern introduction to probability and statistics: understanding why and how' Dekking.

But since it can be seen as a HW problem, might as well post here.

Question:

You and I play a tennis match. It is deuce, which means if you win the next two rallies, you win the game; if I win both rallies, I win the game; if we each win one rally, it is deuce again. Suppose the outcome of a rally is independent of other rallies, and you win a rally with probability p. Let W be the event you win the game, G the game ends after the next two rallies, and D it becomes deuce again.

(a) Determine P(W|G).
(b) Show that P(W) = p^2 + 2p(1 - p)P(W|D) and use P(W) = P(W|D) (why is this so?)
to determine P(W).
(c) Explain why the answers are the same.

The attempt at a solution
(a) P(W|G) = p^2
Since you have a probability p of winning each rally (and they are independent).

(b) P(W) = P(W ∩ G) + P(W ∩ D) , since D and G are mutually exclusive exhaustive events
P(W) = P(W|G)P(G) + P(W|D)P(D) = p^2 * P(G) + p(1-p) P(W|D)

I know P(W|G) = p^2 from (a), and P(D) = p(1-p) since we would each have to win one rally for it go to deuce.

I am not sure how to compute P(G), I thought it should P(G) = p^2 + (1-p)^2, either you win both or I win both; however, this doesn't give the desired result what we were supposed to show.

----------------
P(W) = P(W|D) : I suppose because if it's a Deuce we "reset" and have an equal chance of winning again.

Taking what we had to show for granted I can solve for P(W)

P(W) = p^2 + 2p(1-p)P(W|D)
P(W) - 2p(1-p)P(W) = p^2
P(W)(1 - 2p(1-p)) = p^2
P(W) = p^2 / (1 - 2p + p^2)

(c) What two answers is the question referencing to being the same?
Was I supposed to get the same answer for P(W) and P(W|G)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gridvvk said:
.., since D and G are mutually exclusive exhaustive events

.., and P(D) = p(1-p) .

I am not sure how to compute P(G),

Ponder those three statements.

haruspex said:
Ponder those three statements.

G: Game ends in the next two rallies
D: Game is deuce again

So P(G U D) = 1 , they are exhaustive. Meaning either game ends or it doesn't, and if it doesn't then it must be deuce.

Similarly, it is the case that either the game ends or it's deuce, and certainly can't be both, so they do seem disjoint.

P(D) = 2 * p (1 - p), I did overlook a factor of 2, since there are two ways to arrange it p * (1 - p) or (1 - p) * p.

If everything else in my computation is right, it's saying P(G) must be 1, but that doesn't make much sense. I still think P(G) = p^2 + (1 - p)^2 (i.e. I win twice or you win twice, since rallies are independent, just multiply).

Gridvvk said:
So P(G U D) = 1 , they are exhaustive. Meaning either game ends or it doesn't, and if it doesn't then it must be deuce.

Similarly, it is the case that either the game ends or it's deuce, and certainly can't be both, so they do seem disjoint.

P(D) = 2 * p (1 - p), I did overlook a factor of 2, since there are two ways to arrange it p * (1 - p) or (1 - p) * p.
Well spotted
If everything else in my computation is right, it's saying P(G) must be 1,
No, if G and D are mutually exclusive and between them cover all eventualities then the sum of their probabilities is 1
. I still think P(G) = p^2 + (1 - p)^2 (i.e. I win twice or you win twice, since rallies are independent, just multiply).
Yes, and that's the same as 1 - P(D).

haruspex said:
Well spotted

No, if G and D are mutually exclusive and between them cover all eventualities then the sum of their probabilities is 1
Yes, and that's the same as 1 - P(D).

Thanks, I'm still having trouble with what is required to show (unless this is an error in the book).

I want to show: P(W) = p^2 + 2p(1 - p)P(W|D)

I have

P(W) = P(W ∩ G) + P(W ∩ D) = P(W|G)P(G) + P(W|D)P(D) = p^2 * P(G) +2p(1-p) P(W|D)

Where I have P(W|G) = p^2, P(D) = 2p(1 - p) and if I substitute P(G) = p^2 + (1 - p)^2 or 1 - 2p(1 - p) I do not get what I want to show.

I just noticed your answer to a is wrong. Surely P(W&G) is p squared?

Likes 1 person
Gridvvk said:

Homework Statement

This isn't really homework, just reviewing for a test. This is problem 3.17 in 'A modern introduction to probability and statistics: understanding why and how' Dekking.

But since it can be seen as a HW problem, might as well post here.

Question:

You and I play a tennis match. It is deuce, which means if you win the next two rallies, you win the game; if I win both rallies, I win the game; if we each win one rally, it is deuce again. Suppose the outcome of a rally is independent of other rallies, and you win a rally with probability p. Let W be the event you win the game, G the game ends after the next two rallies, and D it becomes deuce again.

(a) Determine P(W|G).
(b) Show that P(W) = p^2 + 2p(1 - p)P(W|D) and use P(W) = P(W|D) (why is this so?)
to determine P(W).
(c) Explain why the answers are the same.

The attempt at a solution
(a) P(W|G) = p^2
Since you have a probability p of winning each rally (and they are independent).

(b) P(W) = P(W ∩ G) + P(W ∩ D) , since D and G are mutually exclusive exhaustive events
P(W) = P(W|G)P(G) + P(W|D)P(D) = p^2 * P(G) + p(1-p) P(W|D)

I know P(W|G) = p^2 from (a), and P(D) = p(1-p) since we would each have to win one rally for it go to deuce.

I am not sure how to compute P(G), I thought it should P(G) = p^2 + (1-p)^2, either you win both or I win both; however, this doesn't give the desired result what we were supposed to show.

----------------
P(W) = P(W|D) : I suppose because if it's a Deuce we "reset" and have an equal chance of winning again.

Taking what we had to show for granted I can solve for P(W)

P(W) = p^2 + 2p(1-p)P(W|D)
P(W) - 2p(1-p)P(W) = p^2
P(W)(1 - 2p(1-p)) = p^2
P(W) = p^2 / (1 - 2p + p^2)

(c) What two answers is the question referencing to being the same?
Was I supposed to get the same answer for P(W) and P(W|G)?

Sometimes it helps in such problems to look at some more details---in particular, the nature of the "sample space" and the events therein.

To change notation, let the two players be called A and B, and let T denote a "tie" in one round (what you call a deuce). (Here, a round equals two rallies). The sample space S is the set of outcomes
S ={A,B,TA,TB,TTA,TTB,TTTA,TTTB, ...}, where these show the outcomes of the successive rounds.

The event that A wins the game is {A wins} = {A,TA,TTA,TTTA, ... }. If a = P{A} = p^2, b = P{B} = (1-p)^2 and t = P{T} = 1-a-b = 2*p*(1-p), we can get P{A wins} as a convergent infinite series involving t and a.

In this notation, your event G = {A,B} and your event D = {T,TA,TB,TTA,TTB, ...}, which are all the sample points starting with 'T'.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
I just noticed your answer to a is wrong. Surely P(W&G) is p squared?

Oh.
a) P(W|G) = P(W & G) / P(G) = p^2 / (p^2 + (1-p)^2) = p^2 / (2p^2 + 1 -2p)
b) Follows trivially from the rest.
P(W)(1 - 2p(1-p)) = p^2
P(W) = p^2 / (1 + 2p^2 - 2p)
c) P(W|G) = P(W) = P(W|D)
Which means winning is independent of whether or not the game ends in two rallies or goes to deuce.

Ray Vickson said:
Sometimes it helps in such problems to look at some more details---in particular, the nature of the "sample space" and the events therein.

To change notation, let the two players be called A and B, and let T denote a "tie" in one round (what you call a deuce). (Here, a round equals two rallies). The sample space S is the set of outcomes
S ={A,B,TA,TB,TTA,TTB,TTTA,TTTB, ...}, where these show the outcomes of the successive rounds.

The event that A wins the game is {A wins} = {A,TA,TTA,TTTA, ... }. If a = P{A} = p^2, b = P{B} = (1-p)^2 and t = P{T} = 1-a-b = 2*p*(1-p), we can get P{A wins} as a convergent infinite series involving t and a.

In this notation, your event G = {A,B} and your event D = {T,TA,TB,TTA,TTB, ...}, which are all the sample points starting with 'T'.

Thanks! That does provide a good conceptual map to understand the underlying outcomes.

1. What is a conditional probability in tennis?

Conditional probability in tennis refers to the likelihood of a specific event occurring given that another event has already occurred. For example, the probability of winning a match given that the first serve was successful.

2. How is conditional probability calculated in tennis?

Conditional probability in tennis is calculated by dividing the probability of the two events occurring together by the probability of the first event occurring. For example, the probability of winning a point on the second serve given that the first serve was unsuccessful.

3. Can conditional probability be applied to other aspects of tennis?

Yes, conditional probability can be applied to various aspects of tennis such as the probability of winning a set given that the first set was won, or the probability of winning a match given that the first two sets were won.

4. How can conditional probability be used to improve a player's strategy?

Conditional probability can be used to identify areas where a player may be struggling and adjust their strategy accordingly. For example, if a player has a lower probability of winning points on their second serve, they may choose to focus on improving their second serve during practice.

5. Is conditional probability the same as correlation in tennis?

No, conditional probability and correlation are different statistical concepts. While conditional probability looks at the likelihood of events occurring together, correlation measures the strength of the relationship between two variables. However, both can be useful in analyzing and understanding different aspects of a tennis match.