Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conditional probability and sum of rvs question

1. Jul 24, 2008 #1
    I'm trying to solve a problem as part of my research and it's giving me fits. It seems like it should be simple, but I can't wrap my brain around how to do it. The problem is:

Suppose X~N(0,s), and Y is a random variable that has a probability mass point at 0 but is otherwise uniformally distributed on (0,t] so that:

f(y)=k, y=0
    f(y)=(1-k)(1/t), 0 < y < t
    f(y)=0 otherwise

What is

Pr(y < A | x + y > B)

where A and B are arbitrary constants?

I think I've calculated the convolution of X and Y, but I'm not sure how to get the density from there (and I'm not sure I have the convolution right either). Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2008 #2
    Does this look like something that isn't going to have an analytical solution and would need to be simulated?

4. Jul 29, 2008 #3
    Try using the law of total probability to get

[tex] Pr(Y<a|X+Y>b)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} Pr(Y<a|Y>b-x) Pr(X=x) dx [/tex]

Sorry for the sloppy notation, but if you change the limits of the integral, I think you should be able to compute the answer.

5. Jul 29, 2008 #4
    OK, thanks a lot, I hadn't thought of using the law of total probability.

Here's what I did, simplifying a little so that Y has a mass point at 0 and is otherwise U[0,1] instead of U[0,t]:

For the Pr(Y<a|Y>b-x) part,
    1. take the cdf of Y evaluated at a, which is a(1-k)+k
    2. subtract the cdf of Y evaluated at b-x, which is (b-x)(1-k)+k
    3. divide by (1- the cdf of Y evaluated at b-x), which is 1-((b-x)(1-k)+k)

The bounds of integration should be b-a to positive infinity, since this probability is 0 if x<(b-a). Then the Pr(X=x) part is just the pdf of a normal random variable. This gives me:

[tex] Pr(Y<a|X+Y>b)=\int_{b-a}^{\infty} (1-k)\frac{(a-b+x)}{1-(b-x)(1-k)-k}\frac{1}{\sigma\sqrt{2\pi}}exp(-\frac{e^2}{2\sigma^2}) dx [/tex]

Does that look right? If so, isn't that integral too messy to evaluate?

6. Aug 1, 2008 #5
    What you did looks correct except that it should be exp (x...) but i think that was a typo. I don't know if you can integrate that or not, certainly you can approximate it using numerical methods. If you want to solve the integral I suggest using a software or asking someone else as I suck at calculus and woke up quite early this morning. Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?