1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conditional Probability in a card game

1. Jul 2, 2008 #1
    Although this problem may look like homework, I assure you it is not. It is a question that arose from a trading card game that I am stuck on. The problem is as follows (with simplified cards)

You have a deck of 53 cards, and 11 of those cards are red and 42 are black. If you were to randomly draw 7 cards from the deck, how often would your hand of 7 have *less* red cards in it if you had removed 1 red card from the deck prior to drawing your cards compared to leaving it in?

I'm fairly certain this is a hypergeometric distribution and I have calculated the probabilities of drawing 0-7 red cards in a hand of 7 with 11 red cards in a 53 card deck as well as the probability of drawing 0-7 red cards in a hand of 7 with 10 red cards in a 52 card deck. These numbers are listed below. Where to go from here I am not sure. This seems to be a conditional probability but there shouldn't be any dependence since the 7 drawn cards are replaced on each trial.

Code (Text):

0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7
    53  17.50%  37.44%  30.35%  11.98%  2.46%   0.26%   0.01%   0.00%
    52  20.17%  39.21%  28.61%  10.04%  1.80%   0.16%   0.01%   0.00%

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2008 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First of all, I get a different chart from yours, starting
    Code (Text):
    19.63%  35.98%  28.27%
    I'll need more context before I can understand you. Let's say your question was "how often would your hand of 7 have *less* red cards in it if you had removed 0 red cards from the deck prior to drawing your cards compared to leaving it in?" (bold part changed). Would the answer to this question be 0 (since the probabilities would of course be the same) or positive (since some hands would improve)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?