Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conditions for Solution to Pullback Equation on Forms?

1. Jan 23, 2014 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi, All:

I have a quotient map given by the mapping torus (S,h) , where S is a compact surface with nonempty boundary, and h: S→S is a homeomorphism. Let I=[0,1].
    The mapping torus ## S_h## of the pair (S,h) is defined as the quotient q: $$ q:S \times I/~$$ , where (x,0)~(h(x),1), i.e., we glue ## S \times I## along h.

Now, let ω be a 1-form on S . I'm trying to see under what conditions we can solve the pullback equation:
    $$ q* β =ω $$ ,

i.e., I want to find a form β on ## S_f## which pulls-back to ω . Now, the problem is that the induced map ## q*: Hm( S \times I/~)→ S \times I##on cohomology is not necessarily onto -- q is not a homeomorphism, for one, tho the gluing map is almost as nice as can be, since it is a homeomorphism.

Can anyone think of conditions on ω under which there is a form β with ω= q* β ?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2014 #2

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Never mind, thanks, I got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook