1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conducting planes in magnetostatics

1. Aug 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two infinitely long perfectly conducting planes at x = 0 and y = 0 form a boundary on the upper right quadrant (x > 0, y > 0). A magnetic dipole m = m_x + m_y [with their corresponding unit vectors] is located at at (x', y', z' = 0) in the upper right quadrant. Find the magnetic field everywhere in the upper right quadrant.

Now I think that I can solve the problem using method of images and the usual boundary conditions for normal B and tangential H. But what is the actual significance of conducting plates for magnetostatics?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2009 #2

turin

Homework Helper

You answered your own question in the previous sentence. :)

4. Aug 4, 2009 #3
    Well. To put it in another way. How would the boundary conditions change in case the sheets were made out of dielectrics. As far as I understand, there cannot be any difference.

Thanks a lot for answering. I had given up on it.

5. Aug 6, 2009 #4

turin

Homework Helper

I will assume that you meant permeable material instead of dielectric. The dielectric boundary conditions on the magnetic field are trivial. What is the image of a magnetic dipole in a perfectly conducting surface? What is the image of a magnetic dipole in the surface of a permeable material? Do you have a textbook? The answers to these questions can be found in Jackson (with a little persistence).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook