Conductivity titrations that doesn't produce a solid precipitate and water?

• Thread starter Sidelines
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

A pretty simple question, but I was just wondering if it was possible to be able to do a conductivity titration for a reaction that does not create a solid precipitate and water?
I was thinking no because the only reaction that i thought would work for conductivity was an acid-base neutralization, which creates h2o and a salt. But I'm not sure about precipitation or redox. All help is appreciated!

Answers and Replies

What do you mean by conductivity titration? Are you using the change in conductivity to detect the endpoint of the titration?

Borek
Mentor
Technically there is no reason why it shouldn't work for redox titration or complexometric titration - principle (changing conductivity) holds. However, in redox and complexometric titrations we usually add buffers/excess strong acids to keep pH under control; that means changes in conductivity are small compared to overall conductivity of the solution. That in turn means our ability to measure changes (and detect endpoint) is limited (unfavorable signal to noise ratio). But in some specific cases it can be still possible.