1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confidence interval for a cohort

1. Sep 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Latency Time(years): Number of patients
    0: 2
    1: 6
    2: 9
    3: 33
    4: 49
    5: 66
    6: 52
    7: 37
    8: 18
    9: 11
    10: 4

(I don't know how to make a proper table with latex... tried \being{tabular}{l r} but this doesn't work)

2. Relevant equations

When the variance is unknown, the t-distribution may be used
    [tex] \mu = \bar{x} \pm t_{n,1- \frac {\alpha}2} \cdot \frac {s}{\sqrt {n}} [/tex]

and estimating the variance, we have...

[itex] (n-1) \cdot \frac {s^2}{ \chi^2_{n-1,1- \frac {\alpha}2}} \leq \sigma^2 \leq (n-1) \cdot \frac {s^2}{ \chi^2_{n-1,\frac {\alpha}2}} [/itex]

lastly, for the poisson distribution the confidence interval is given by [itex] \mu_1, \mu_2 [/itex], that satisfies

[itex] \frac {\alpha}2 = P(X \geq \mu | \mu = \mu_1) = \sum_{k=x}^{\infty} \frac {e^{-\mu_1} \mu_1^{k}}{k!}[/itex]

[itex] \frac {\alpha}2 = P(X \leq \mu | \mu = \mu_2) = \sum_{k=0}^{x} \frac {e^{-\mu_2} \mu_2^{k}}{k!}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not really sure how to handle this. I'm used to just once column where I can compute the mean and sample variance. Here I'm asked to compute the mean and variance of the latency time. Since this is a time interval, I think I should be using the Poisson distribution, however it's given that the distribution is normal.

I don't know how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can ignore the medical background - it is an interval that always starts at zero, so mean and variance of the interval are the mean and variance of your data. Sure, the values cannot get negative (so it cannot be a perfect gaussian distribution), but that's not important here.

4. Sep 8, 2014 #3
    Not sure what you mean by a perfect guassian distribution. Stripping away the medical terminology, I still don't know what to do.

Given that I have two columns with data, I picture (perhaps incorrectly) the first column as values for X, and another column as the associated probabilities. Fom there I don't know what to do.

Perhaps I find an interval for [itex] \mu [/itex], contuining the previous tangent, how could I relate this back to the first column. It's not like I know [itex]f^{-1}(x) [/itex].

5. Sep 8, 2014 #4
    Wait a sec...

Am I just finding a confidence interval for the data in the first column?

6. Sep 9, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, using probabilities estimated from the second column.

7. Sep 9, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, using probabilities estimated from the second column.

8. Sep 9, 2014 #7
    Well, then I'd use students's t test, but....

How I am supposed to use the probabilities? I thought I could just find [itex] \bar{x}[/itex] and [itex] s^2[/itex] from the 1st column.

9. Sep 9, 2014 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can, if you expand it all out to get 287 sample points, like this:
    X = 0,0,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,3,3, ....,9,9,10,10,10,10. Of course there is an easier way, and that is what you need to figure out.

10. Sep 9, 2014 #9
    Ok, I think I got it now. This is like a table describing the frequency of a distribution.

Computing [itex] s^2 [/itex] might take a while.

11. Sep 9, 2014 #10

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not if you think first and calculate later.

12. Sep 9, 2014 #11
    Thought about, though I already did the calculation in Excel the long way.

Expressing the rows as order pairs [itex] (a_i , b_i) [/itex], then I have...

[itex] \bar{x} = (\sum b_i \cdot a_i)/( \sum b_i) [/itex], and

[itex] s^2 = \frac 1{\sum b_i - 1} \cdot \sum b_i (a_i - \bar{x} )^2 [/itex]....

That's what I think the easy computation is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted