Dropping rocks with the x- and y-coordinates being normal

In summary: No, you don't need to find the distribution of r. You already have the distribution of ##\sqrt{X^2+Y^2}##, which is a Rayleigh distribution. To find the expectation of the distance between the landing point and the target, you need the expectation of ##\sqrt{X^2+Y^2}##, which is the square root of the expectation of ##X^2+Y^2##. And to find the variance, you need the variance of ##\sqrt{X^2+Y^2}##, which is the same as the expectation of ##X^2+Y^2## minus the square of the expectation of ##X^2+Y
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"A helicopter drops rocks onto a desert until it hits a marked bullseye. With respect to Cartesian coordinates whose origins is at the bullseye, both the x- and y-coordinates are normally distributed. Denote the r.v.'s taking on values along these axes as ##X,Y##, respectively, and note that they are independent. Also note that ##X,Y## have distributions ##N(0,\sigma^2)##. Show that the expectation of the distance between the landing point and the target is ##\sigma \sqrt{\frac {\pi}{2}}##. Find also the variance."

Homework Equations

Hints given: "Find ##P(X^2+Y^2 \leq r^2)## and use that distribution to find ##P(\sqrt{X^2+Y^2}\leq r)##, ##Var(\sqrt{X^2+Y^2})## and ##E(\sqrt{X^2+Y^2})##.

If ##X## has distribution ##N(\mu,\sigma^2)##, then ##f_X(x)=\frac {1}{\sqrt{2 \pi} \sigma} e^{-\frac {1}{2}(\frac {x-\mu}{\sigma})^2}##.

For two independent r.v.'s ##X,Y##, ##f_{X,Y}(x,y)=f_X(x)f_Y(y)##.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, what I have is:

##P(X^2+Y^2 \leq r^2)=2P(Y\leq \sqrt{r^2-x^2}|X=x)P(X=x)=2\int_{-r}^{r} \int_0^{\sqrt{r^2-x^2}} f_Y(y)f_X(x)\,dy\,dx\\
=4\int_0^r \int_0^{\sqrt{r^2-x^2}} \frac{1}{2\pi \sigma^2} e^{-\frac{1}{2\sigma^2}y^2}e^{-\frac{1}{2\sigma^2}x^2}\,dy \,dx=\frac{2}{\pi \sigma^2} \int_0^r \int_0^{\sqrt{r^2-x^2}}e^{-\frac{1}{2\sigma^2}(y^2+x^2)}\,dy \,dx##

This integral isn't something I learned how to do yet, so I'm thinking that there's another way I'm supposed to do this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
It will be easier to work out in polar form. You are integrating the interior of a circle of radius r. Express that shape in terms of ##r## and ##\theta##, and also express your joint probability in terms of ##r## and ##\theta##.

What is the surface element ##dy dx## expressed in polar coordinates?

Eclair_de_XII said:
So far, what I have is:

##P(X^2+Y^2 \leq r^2)=2P(Y\leq \sqrt{r^2-x^2}|X=x)P(X=x)##
The righthand side isn't correct. For one thing, you meant ##0 \le Y \le \sqrt{r^2-x^2}##. Also, you somehow need to incorporate the fact that X runs between -r and r. It's probably easier just to go straight to the integral:
$$P(X^2+Y^2 \leq r^2)= \int_{-r}^{r} \int_{-\sqrt{r^2-x^2}}^{\sqrt{r^2-x^2}} f_Y(y) f_X(x)\,dy\,dx = \frac{1}{2\pi \sigma^2} \int_{-r}^{r} \int_{-\sqrt{r^2-x^2}}^{\sqrt{r^2-x^2}} e^{-\frac{x^2+y^2}{2\sigma^2}}\,dy\,dx$$ Then as RPinPA suggested, change variables to polar coordinates. You'll be able to evaluate the resulting integral.

##P(X^2+Y^2 \leq r^2)=\frac{1}{2\pi \sigma^2} \int_{-r}^{r} \int_{-\sqrt{r^2-x^2}}^{\sqrt{r^2-x^2}} e^{-\frac{x^2+y^2}{2\sigma^2}}\,dy\,dx=\frac{1}{2\pi \sigma^2} \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^r se^{-\frac{s^2}{2\sigma^2}}\,ds\,d\theta##

Let ##u=\frac{s^2}{2\sigma^2}##, ##\sigma^2du=s\,ds##, and ##r\mapsto \frac{r^2}{2\sigma^2}##, ##0\mapsto 0##. So we have:

##P(X^2+Y^2 \leq r^2)=\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\frac{r^2}{2\sigma^2}}e^{-u}\,du\,d\theta=e^{-u}|_{\frac{r^2}{2\sigma^2}}^0=1-e^{-\frac{r^2}{2\sigma^2}}##

Now I'm guessing I transform this into ##P(0\leq \sqrt{X^2+Y^2}\leq r)##? Or is it just: ##\frac{1}{2}P(X^2+Y^2 \leq r^2)##?

Eclair_de_XII said:
##P(X^2+Y^2 \leq r^2)=\frac{1}{2\pi \sigma^2} \int_{-r}^{r} \int_{-\sqrt{r^2-x^2}}^{\sqrt{r^2-x^2}} e^{-\frac{x^2+y^2}{2\sigma^2}}\,dy\,dx=\frac{1}{2\pi \sigma^2} \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^r se^{-\frac{s^2}{2\sigma^2}}\,ds\,d\theta##

That looks good. This is a result that I'm very familiar with from on the job (the application being white noise in communication signals): If you have a vector whose ##x## and ##y## coordinates are independent identically distributed normal random variables, then the magnitude follows a Rayleigh distribution (that's the density you have under the integral sign) and the phase angle is uniformly distributed.

You've just proved that well-known result.

Eclair_de_XII said:
Let ##u=\frac{s^2}{2\sigma^2}##, ##\sigma^2du=s\,ds##, and ##r\mapsto \frac{r^2}{2\sigma^2}##, ##0\mapsto 0##. So we have:

##P(X^2+Y^2 \leq r^2)=\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\frac{r^2}{2\sigma^2}}e^{-u}\,du\,d\theta=e^{-u}|_{\frac{r^2}{2\sigma^2}}^0=1-e^{-\frac{r^2}{2\sigma^2}}##

Now I'm guessing I transform this into ##P(\sqrt{X^2+Y^2}\leq r)##? Or is it just: ##\frac{1}{2}P(X^2+Y^2 \leq r^2)##?

How are those two events related? That is, what set of points meets the condition ##X^2 + Y^2 \leq r^2## and what set of points meets the condition ##\sqrt{X^2 + Y^2} \leq r##?

It's the closed circle of radius ##r## centered at the origin.

Eclair_de_XII said:
It's the closed circle of radius ##r## centered at the origin.
Which of my two questions is that the answer to?

1. What set of points meets the condition ##X^2 + Y^2 \leq r^2##?
2. What set of points meets the condition ##\sqrt{X^2 + Y^2} \leq r##?

The first one. The second one is a semi-circle above the x-axis, assuming it's bounded from below by ##0##.

Eclair_de_XII said:
The first one. The second one is a semi-circle above the x-axis, assuming it's bounded from below by ##0##.

Are you sure? So points with y negative are not included? Let's check. Suppose x = 1, y = -1 and r = 2. What is ##\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}##? Is it ##\leq## r?

Yeah, I think they're included. Basically, any ##(x,y)\in\mathbb{R}^2## s.t. ##x^2+y^2\leq r##. I'm guessing it's the same event, then?

Eclair_de_XII said:
Yeah, I think they're included. Basically, any ##(x,y)\in\mathbb{R}^2## s.t. ##x^2+y^2\leq r##. I'm guessing it's the same event, then?

Correct. Those are the same event. No need to guess, it is a fact that those are the same probability.

Something's off, here, though. If the r.v. ##\sqrt{X^2+Y^2}## is distributed as ##exp(\frac{1}{2\sigma^2})##, then its mean should be ##\mu=2\sigma^2\neq \sigma\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}##.

##r## doesn't follow an exponential distribution. Why do you think it does?

It just seemed like that ##r^2## had the form of an exponential distribution. In any case, should I try to find the distribution of ##r##, now?

Eclair_de_XII said:
It just seemed like that ##r^2## had the form of an exponential distribution.
It does, but that does not mean the distribution of r is exponential.

Okay, so I turned in the assignment in already, but I'll just share what I have done:

Let ##R=\sqrt{X^2+Y^2}##. Then ##F_R(r)=1-e^{-\frac{1}{2}(\frac{r}{\sigma})^2}##

So ##f_R(r)=\frac{r}{\sigma^2}e^{-\frac{1}{2}(\frac{r}{\sigma})^2}##

##E(R)=\int_0^\infty r\frac{r}{\sigma^2}e^{-\frac{1}{2}(\frac{r}{\sigma})^2}\,dr##

Let ##u =r##, ##du=dr##, and ##dv=\frac{r}{\sigma^2}e^{-\frac{1}{2}(\frac{r}{\sigma})^2}\,dr##, ##v=-e^{-\frac{1}{2}(\frac{r}{\sigma})^2}##

So... ##E(R)=(-re^{-\frac{1}{2}(\frac{r}{\sigma})^2})|_0^\infty+\int_0^\infty -e^{-\frac{1}{2}(\frac{r}{\sigma})^2}dr##

Let ##s=\frac{r}{\sigma\sqrt{2}}##, ##\sigma \sqrt{2}\,ds=dr##

And we have: ##E(R)=\sigma \sqrt{2}\int_0^\infty e^{-s^2}\,ds=\sigma \sqrt{2}\frac{1}{2}\int_{\mathbb{R}} e^{-s^2}\,ds=\sigma \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\sqrt{\pi}=\sigma\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}##.

Then ##E(R^2)=\int_0^\infty \frac{r^3}{\sigma^2}e^{-\frac{1}{2}(\frac{r}{\sigma})^2}\,dr##. Let ##t=\frac{r}{\sigma}##, ##\frac{dt}{\sigma}=\frac{dr}{\sigma^2}##, and so: ##E(R^2)=\sigma^2 \int_0^\infty t^3e^{-\frac{1}{2}t^2}## and ##Var(R)=\frac{\sigma^2}{2}(E(T^3)-\pi)## where ##T## has the standard normal distribution.

1. How is the normal distribution used in dropping rocks with x- and y-coordinates?

The normal distribution is a probability distribution that is commonly used in statistical analysis. In the context of dropping rocks with x- and y-coordinates, the normal distribution can be used to model the random variation in the landing positions of the rocks.

2. Why is it important to use the normal distribution in this scenario?

The normal distribution is often used in scenarios where there is a large amount of random variation, such as in the case of dropping rocks with x- and y-coordinates. This is because it allows us to make predictions about the likelihood of certain outcomes and estimate the range of possible values with a high degree of accuracy.

3. How do you determine the mean and standard deviation for the normal distribution in this scenario?

The mean and standard deviation for the normal distribution in dropping rocks with x- and y-coordinates can be determined by collecting data on the landing positions of the rocks and calculating the average and standard deviation of the x- and y-coordinates. Alternatively, if the rocks are dropped from a known height and angle, the mean and standard deviation can be calculated using mathematical equations.

4. Can the normal distribution be used to predict the exact landing position of a rock?

No, the normal distribution cannot be used to predict the exact landing position of a rock. It only provides a probability distribution of where the rock is likely to land, based on the mean and standard deviation. There will always be some degree of uncertainty in the exact landing position due to random variables such as wind speed and direction.

5. Are there any limitations to using the normal distribution in this scenario?

One of the limitations of using the normal distribution in dropping rocks with x- and y-coordinates is that it assumes a symmetric bell-shaped curve. In reality, the distribution of the landing positions of the rocks may not be perfectly normal. In addition, the normal distribution assumes that the data is normally distributed, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.