1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confidence interval/Hypothesis test for standard deviation

1. Apr 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1) A random sample of 26 students who are enrolled in College A was taken and their SAT scores were recorded. The sample mean is 548 and the sample standard deviation is s=57. Assume population is normally distributed.

a) Find a 98% confdience interval for the standard deviation of SAT scores of all the students who are enrolled in College A.

b) The principal of College A claims that the standard deviation of SAT scores of studnets in her college is 48. Does the data support the principal's claim? Justify.

2. Relevant equations
    Hypothesis testing/Confidence intervals

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am OK with part a, but have some concerns about part b.

For part b, is it a hypothesis testing (H_o: σ^2 = 48^2, H_a: σ^2 ≠ 48^2) problem or is it a confidence interval problem? Can it be answered solely by using confidence interval? I have seen a theorem saying that "reject H_o: μ=μ_o at the level alpha if and only if μ_o falls outside the 100(1-alpha)% confidence interval for μ", but that's just for μ. Does it also hold for μ1-μ2 and σ ???

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2009 #2
    So my key question here is: Does the similar relationship between confidence interval and hypothesis testing also hold for μ1-μ2 and σ ?

4. Apr 27, 2009 #3
    Yes for two-tailed tests. If you look at the formulas, you can see the test statistic is just a rearrangement of the CI.

For proportion p, the formulas are slightly different, but you can still use the CI method.

One-tailed tests, as with μ, would need "one sided confidence intervals" or "confidence rays" whatever you want to call them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook