1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confirm the row vectors of A are orthogonal to the solution vectors?

1. Jun 16, 2012 #1
    HI there. I'm taking Linear Algebra classes right now and this question has been bugging me.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a general solution to the system, state the dimension of the solution space, and confirm the row vectors of A are orthogonal to the solution vectors.

The given system is:
    (x1) + (x2) + (x3) = 0
    2(x1) + 2(x2) + 2(x3) = 0
    3(x1) + 3(x2) + 3(x3) = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

This last part about confirming vectors are orthogonal (bolded) confuses me. I have found the general solution can be written as

(x1) = t + s
    (x2) = t
    (x3) = s

And that the dimension of the solution is 2, since there are two vectors. But I do not understand how to do the last part of the question. What is it asking? Any guidance would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your "solution" doesn't work in the first equation (nor the others).

4. Jun 16, 2012 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The system can be written as a matrix multiplication Ax=0. A row vector is simply a row of the matrix A. You want to show that each of these row vectors is perpendicular to the solution x. As LCKurtz noted, you need to get that right first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook