1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix Relative to B and B' R3 to R3

1. Apr 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For problems 1 and 2 use [PLAIN]http://T: [Broken] R^3 to R^3, T(<x1,x2,x3>) = <2x1-x2, x2+3x3, x1 - x2+2x3>,[/PLAIN] , T: R^3 to R^3, T(<x1,x2,x3>) = <2x1-x2, x2+3x3, x1 - x2+2x3>, , bases B = { <1,0,1>, <1,1,0>, <0,1,1> } and B' = { <1,1,-2>, <2,1,-1>, <3,1,1> }. Find T ( <3,-1,2> ) by using

The matrix relative to B and B'

2. Relevant equations
    How do i correctly use the c1w1+c2w2+c3w3 ..

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've looked in the book and other places online and everyone seems to be doing a 2x2 which is straighforward and makes more sense. I am sort of lost with trying to do this one. I know there must be a T(v1) T(v2) and T(v3) but where is v1, v2 and v3 coming from? Any guidance or help with starting the problem would be great. I know that once I get those v1 v2 v3 they become the columns of the matrix..

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I guess the notation ##\langle x_1,x_2,x_3 \rangle## means the vector ##\vec{v}## whose components are ##x_1, x_2, x_3## in the usual basis E, consisting of the vectors ## \vec{e_1}, \vec{e_2}, \vec{e_3}##, where ##\vec{e_1} = \langle 1,0,0 \rangle##, ##\vec{e_2} = \langle 0,1,0 \rangle## and ##\vec{e_3} = \langle 0,0,1 \rangle##.

Step 1 is to write the components of ##\vec{v}## in the new basis B given in the problem. Then, given components ##v_1, v_2, v_3## of ##\vec{v}## in the B-basis, you can figure out its components in the E-basis and from that, get its image ##T(\vec{v})## in the E-basis of the range space. Then you can figure out what that becomes in the B'-basis of the range space.

Note that what I am suggesting is that, rather than using canned formulas, you do it step-by-step explicitly. Once you have really grasped what is happening, then you can turn to canned formulas to lessen the work.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted