Matrix Relative to B and B' R3 to R3

In summary, the Matrix Relative to B and B' R3 to R3 is a representation of a linear transformation between two three-dimensional vector spaces. It is calculated by choosing two bases and constructing a matrix where the columns represent the coordinates of the basis vectors in the second basis with respect to the first. Its purpose is to simplify calculations involving linear transformations and it is closely related to the concept of change of basis. It can also be used for vector spaces of any dimension.
siimplyabi

Homework Statement

For problems 1 and 2 use [PLAIN]http://T: R^3 to R^3, T(<x1,x2,x3>) = <2x1-x2, x2+3x3, x1 - x2+2x3>,[/PLAIN] , T: R^3 to R^3, T(<x1,x2,x3>) = <2x1-x2, x2+3x3, x1 - x2+2x3>, , bases B = { <1,0,1>, <1,1,0>, <0,1,1> } and B' = { <1,1,-2>, <2,1,-1>, <3,1,1> }. Find T ( <3,-1,2> ) by using

The matrix relative to B and B'

Homework Equations

How do i correctly use the c1w1+c2w2+c3w3 ..

The Attempt at a Solution

I've looked in the book and other places online and everyone seems to be doing a 2x2 which is straighforward and makes more sense. I am sort of lost with trying to do this one. I know there must be a T(v1) T(v2) and T(v3) but where is v1, v2 and v3 coming from? Any guidance or help with starting the problem would be great. I know that once I get those v1 v2 v3 they become the columns of the matrix..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
siimplyabi said:

Homework Statement

For problems 1 and 2 use [PLAIN]http://T: R^3 to R^3, T(<x1,x2,x3>) = <2x1-x2, x2+3x3, x1 - x2+2x3>,[/PLAIN] , T: R^3 to R^3, T(<x1,x2,x3>) = <2x1-x2, x2+3x3, x1 - x2+2x3>, , bases B = { <1,0,1>, <1,1,0>, <0,1,1> } and B' = { <1,1,-2>, <2,1,-1>, <3,1,1> }. Find T ( <3,-1,2> ) by using

The matrix relative to B and B'

Homework Equations

How do i correctly use the c1w1+c2w2+c3w3 ..

The Attempt at a Solution

I've looked in the book and other places online and everyone seems to be doing a 2x2 which is straighforward and makes more sense. I am sort of lost with trying to do this one. I know there must be a T(v1) T(v2) and T(v3) but where is v1, v2 and v3 coming from? Any guidance or help with starting the problem would be great. I know that once I get those v1 v2 v3 they become the columns of the matrix..

I guess the notation ##\langle x_1,x_2,x_3 \rangle## means the vector ##\vec{v}## whose components are ##x_1, x_2, x_3## in the usual basis E, consisting of the vectors ## \vec{e_1}, \vec{e_2}, \vec{e_3}##, where ##\vec{e_1} = \langle 1,0,0 \rangle##, ##\vec{e_2} = \langle 0,1,0 \rangle## and ##\vec{e_3} = \langle 0,0,1 \rangle##.

Step 1 is to write the components of ##\vec{v}## in the new basis B given in the problem. Then, given components ##v_1, v_2, v_3## of ##\vec{v}## in the B-basis, you can figure out its components in the E-basis and from that, get its image ##T(\vec{v})## in the E-basis of the range space. Then you can figure out what that becomes in the B'-basis of the range space.

Note that what I am suggesting is that, rather than using canned formulas, you do it step-by-step explicitly. Once you have really grasped what is happening, then you can turn to canned formulas to lessen the work.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the Matrix Relative to B and B' R3 to R3?

The Matrix Relative to B and B' R3 to R3 is a mathematical representation of a linear transformation from one three-dimensional vector space (R3) to another three-dimensional vector space (R3). It is used to describe how a set of vectors in one coordinate system is transformed into a new set of vectors in a different coordinate system.

How is the Matrix Relative to B and B' R3 to R3 calculated?

The Matrix Relative to B and B' R3 to R3 is calculated by first choosing two bases, B and B', for the two vector spaces. Then, the coordinates of the basis vectors in B' are expressed as linear combinations of the basis vectors in B. These coefficients are then used to construct the matrix, where the columns represent the coordinates of the basis vectors in B' with respect to B.

What is the purpose of using the Matrix Relative to B and B' R3 to R3?

The purpose of using the Matrix Relative to B and B' R3 to R3 is to simplify calculations involving linear transformations between vector spaces. By using this matrix, we can easily apply the transformation to any vector in the original vector space by simply multiplying it by the matrix.

How does the Matrix Relative to B and B' R3 to R3 relate to change of basis?

The Matrix Relative to B and B' R3 to R3 is closely related to the concept of change of basis. It represents the change of basis from B to B', where the basis vectors in B are mapped to the basis vectors in B' through a linear transformation. This matrix can also be used to convert coordinates of a vector in one basis to coordinates in another basis.

Can the Matrix Relative to B and B' R3 to R3 be used for non-3D vector spaces?

Yes, the Matrix Relative to B and B' R3 to R3 can be used for any vector space, not just three-dimensional ones. The only difference is that the dimensions of the matrix will change depending on the dimensions of the vector spaces involved. For example, for a linear transformation from a four-dimensional vector space to a two-dimensional vector space, the matrix will be a 2x4 matrix.