Confirming my logic on potential difference

In summary: Thanks for the help :smile:In summary, to protect a house from lightning, a 5.0 m tall iron lightning rod with a minimum diameter of 1.8 cm is needed, assuming a maximum potential difference of 100 V and a lightning current of 50 kA lasting 50 μs. This calculation was based on the equations V = IR, R = ρL/A, and ΔV = (Vb - Va), with the assumption that Va = 0. The conductivity of iron was given as 1.0 x 10^-7 Ωm.
The Blind Watchmaker

Homework Statement

You’ve decided to protect your house by placing a 5.0 m tall iron lightning rod next to the house. The top is sharpened to a point and the bottom is in good contact with the ground. From your research, you’ve learned that lightning bolts can carry up to 50 kA of current and last up to 50μs. You don’t want the potential difference between the top and bottom of the lighting rod to exceed 100 V. What minimum diameter must the rod have? Conductivity of iron is 1.0 x [10][/7] [(Ωm)][/-1]

Homework Equations

V = IR
R = ρ L/A
ΔV = [V][/b] - [V][/a]

The Attempt at a Solution

ΔV = [V][/b] - [V][/a]
Assume [V][/a] to be 0
[V][/b] = ΔV
IR = ΔV
I ρ L/A = ΔV
I L/(σA) = ΔV
50⋅[10][/3]⋅5/([10][/7]⋅π[r][/2]) = 100
r = 0.892 cm
d = 2r = 1.8 cm

Can someone check my working to verify my logic?
P.S: I have no background in physics as I was a Biology olympiad medalist but I am currently taking an Electromagnetism module as part of my course requirement. Any help would be appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi The Blind Watchmaker,

:welcome:

Your calculations and result look fine.

Note that you can insert subscripts and superscripts easily using the ##x_2## and ##x^2## icons from the edit window toolbar (Or use LaTeX syntax as I did for x2 and x2 :smile:)

Thank you! This is my first post so I am not really familiar with the syntax yet.

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference is the difference in electrical potential energy between two points in an electric field. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is potential difference calculated?

Potential difference is calculated by dividing the change in electrical potential energy by the amount of charge that has moved between two points. This can be represented by the equation V = ΔPE/q, where V is potential difference, ΔPE is the change in electrical potential energy, and q is the amount of charge.

3. What is the unit of potential difference?

The unit of potential difference is the volt (V). One volt is equal to one joule per coulomb (J/C).

4. What is the importance of confirming logic on potential difference?

Confirming logic on potential difference is important because it helps to ensure the accuracy of calculations and measurements in electrical circuits. It also helps to understand the relationship between potential difference, current, and resistance in a circuit.

5. How does potential difference affect the flow of electric current?

Potential difference is what drives the flow of electric current in a circuit. When there is a difference in potential between two points, electrons will move from the higher potential point to the lower potential point, creating a flow of current. The greater the potential difference, the greater the flow of current.