Broglie wavelength - calculate electric potential difference

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric potential difference in a TV tube by using equations for the wavelength of electrons and kinetic energy. The correct calculation for the electric potential difference was provided and it was noted that the speed of the electron in this scenario is close to the speed of light.
pbonnie

Homework Statement

In a TV tube, an electric potential difference accelerates electrons from a rest position towards a screen. Just before striking the screen, the electrons have a wavelength of [itex]1.0 x 10^{-11} m [/itex]. Find the electric potential difference.

Homework Equations

[itex]λ = h/mv [/itex]
[itex] ΔE_k = qΔV [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] v = h/λm = (6.63x10^{-34}Js)/(1.0x10^{-11}m)(9.11x10^{-31})[/itex]
[itex] = 7.3 x 10^7 m/s[/itex]
I rearranged the second equation to solve for ΔV
[itex] ΔV = ((1/2)(9.11x10^{-31}kg)(7.3x10^7m/s))/(1.60 x 10^-19c)[/itex]
[itex] = 2.1 x 10^{-4} V[/itex]

I was just wondering if someone could let me know if I'm doing this right? Sorry for not using latex properly, I'm not really sure how to make fractions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

Your method looks good. But you need to check your calculation of the kinetic energy of the electron.

Units

Another good way to see that your calculation went awry is to check your units instead of just writing Volts as the units for the answer.

kg*(m/s)/C are the units on your product in the final line of your calculation before the answer. But Volts are J/C

We know that a Joule is not a kg*m/s, but should be a kg*m2/s2.

Hope this helps.

Dr Peter Vaughan
BASIS Peoria Physics

Ah thank you both very much. I wrote down the 1/2mv^2 in my actual work but forgot to do the calculation.

Thank you:)

Good work!

Note that you got a speed of the electron that is about 24% the speed of light. This is encroaching on the domain of relativity. But your non-relativistic answer is accurate to within 2% error.

Last edited:
i think for the Ek formula should be 1/2mv^2 and seems you missed the to square the 7.3E7m/s

1. What is the Broglie wavelength?

The Broglie wavelength is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wave-like behavior of matter. It is named after French physicist Louis de Broglie, who proposed that all particles, including subatomic particles, have a wavelength associated with them.

2. How is the Broglie wavelength calculated?

The Broglie wavelength is calculated using the following equation: λ = h/mv, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and v is the velocity of the particle.

3. What is the significance of the Broglie wavelength?

The Broglie wavelength is significant because it helps us understand the dual nature of particles as both particles and waves. It also allows us to calculate the wavelength of matter, which can provide insights into the behavior of particles on a quantum level.

4. How does electric potential difference relate to the Broglie wavelength?

Electric potential difference is the energy required to move a charged particle between two points in an electric field. The Broglie wavelength is related to this by the de Broglie-Bohm theory, which suggests that particles have a guiding wave that influences their movement in an electric field.

5. Can the Broglie wavelength be observed in experiments?

Yes, the Broglie wavelength has been observed in many experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, where electrons were diffracted like waves. It has also been observed in experiments involving particles like protons and atoms.