1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Broglie wavelength - calculate electric potential difference

1. Jul 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a TV tube, an electric potential difference accelerates electrons from a rest position towards a screen. Just before striking the screen, the electrons have a wavelength of [itex]1.0 x 10^{-11} m [/itex]. Find the electric potential difference.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]λ = h/mv [/itex]
    [itex] ΔE_k = qΔV [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [itex] v = h/λm = (6.63x10^{-34}Js)/(1.0x10^{-11}m)(9.11x10^{-31})[/itex]
    [itex] = 7.3 x 10^7 m/s[/itex]
    I rearranged the second equation to solve for ΔV
    [itex] ΔV = ((1/2)(9.11x10^{-31}kg)(7.3x10^7m/s))/(1.60 x 10^-19c)[/itex]
    [itex] = 2.1 x 10^{-4} V[/itex]

I was just wondering if someone could let me know if I'm doing this right? Sorry for not using latex properly, I'm not really sure how to make fractions.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello.

Your method looks good. But you need to check your calculation of the kinetic energy of the electron.

4. Jul 26, 2013 #3
    Units

Another good way to see that your calculation went awry is to check your units instead of just writing Volts as the units for the answer.

kg*(m/s)/C are the units on your product in the final line of your calculation before the answer. But Volts are J/C

We know that a Joule is not a kg*m/s, but should be a kg*m2/s2.

Hope this helps.

Dr Peter Vaughan
    BASIS Peoria Physics

5. Jul 26, 2013 #4
    Ah thank you both very much. I wrote down the 1/2mv^2 in my actual work but forgot to do the calculation.

Thank you:)

6. Jul 26, 2013 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good work!

Note that you got a speed of the electron that is about 24% the speed of light. This is encroaching on the domain of relativity. But your non-relativistic answer is accurate to within 2% error.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  7. Nov 17, 2017 #6
    i think for the Ek formula should be 1/2mv^2 and seems you missed the to square the 7.3E7m/s

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted