Conflict in formulas P = IR^2 and P=delta v/r

  • Thread starter Thread starter Perseverence
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Formulas
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
19 replies · 3K views
Perseverence
Messages
88
Reaction score
7
P = IR^2 and P=delta v/r

Did the first equation is Joules heating law, which shows that power increases with resistance. The 2nd equation which is given as an answer in my problem set states that a decrease in resistance increases power. The inconsistency is really bothering me. Help please
 
Attachments
  • 20180118_213735.jpg
    20180118_213735.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 701
Physics news on Phys.org
Perseverence said:
P = IR^2 and P=delta v/r

Did the first equation is Joules heating law, which shows that power increases with resistance. The 2nd equation which is given as an answer in my problem set states that a decrease in resistance increases power. The inconsistency is really bothering me. Help please
It depends what is being held constant.
In I2R, increasing resistance will increase power assuming current is constant.
What assumption does the other equation make? Can both these assumptions be true at once?
 
the information I am trying to glean is the effect of increasing resistance on power when all other factors are constant.
 
Perseverence said:
the information I am trying to glean is the effect of increasing resistance on power when all other factors are constant.
So try to answer the questions I posed.
 
Perseverence said:
the information I am trying to glean is the effect of increasing resistance on power when all other factors are constant.
Can you get the relation P=I2R from P=ΔV2/R?
What does ΔV stand for here?
 
cnh1995 said:
Can you get the relation P=I2R from P=ΔV2/R?
What does ΔV stand for here?
Yes, I was just about to point out that P=ΔV/R makes no sense. It should of course be V2/R.
 
Please refer to the attached image for clarification.
 
Yes, it is Delta V squared. My apologies. V stands for VOLTAGE
 
haruspex said:
Yes, I was just about to point out that P=ΔV/R makes no sense. It should of course be V2/R.
Actually, I was referring to the attached image. Yes, the OP made a typo, but my question was to see if the OP can relate the two formulae.:smile:
Perseverence said:
V stands for VOLTAGE
Right, but voltage "across" what? Can you derive one formula from the other?
 
Both of the equations assume that all other factors are constant. One is essentially Ohm's law. Given that all other factors are constant what would be the effect of increasing resistance on power
 
Perseverence said:
Both of the equations assume that all other factors are constant. One is essentially Ohm's law. Given that all other factors are constant what would be the effect of increasing resistance on power
What is the effect of increasing resistance on the current through the resistance?
 
cnh1995 said:
What is the effect of increasing resistance on the current through the resistance?
... if voltage is constant.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: cnh1995
Ah, okay. I see it you can derive one equation from the other. They do seem at first to be in conflict. But it does still seem to be somewhat contradictory that in one instance resistance is directly proportional power and in the other it is inversely proportional.

It's still twists my brain a bit. I guess the rule is that when all other factors are constant decreasing resistance increases power.
 
Thanks ! This was my first pos to this forum and you guys were great :)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: cnh1995
Perseverence said:
It's still twists my brain a bit. I guess the rule is that when all other factors are constant decreasing resistance increases power.
That is true if the voltage across the resistance remains constant i.e. in case of a circuit containing parallel resistances connected across a voltage source.

If you have a series circuit containing two resistors r and R in series with a constant voltage source, and you are changing R keeping all the other parameters constant, you can't make the above statement about the power dissipated in R. Look up 'maximum power transfer' theorem.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CWatters
cnh1995 said:
That is true if the voltage across the resistance remains constant i.e. in case of a circuit containing parallel resistances connected across a voltage source.

If you have a series circuit containing two resistors r and R in series with a constant voltage source, and you are changing R keeping all the other parameters constant, you can't make the above statement about the power dissipated in R. Look up 'maximum power transfer' theorem.
cnh1995 said:
That is true if the voltage across the resistance remains constant i.e. in case of a circuit containing parallel resistances connected across a voltage source.

If you have a series circuit containing two resistors r and R in series with a constant voltage source, and you are changing R keeping all the other parameters constant, you can't make the above statement about the power dissipated in R. Look up 'maximum power transfer' theorem.
Makes sense. Thank you
 
Perseverence said:
Makes sense. Thank you
No probs!
And welcome to PF!:smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Perseverence
Perseverence said:
I guess the rule is that when all other factors are constant decreasing resistance increases power.
No, this is why I asked the questions I asked. You cannot hold all else constant. With voltage constant, increasing resistance reduces current and power; with current constant (by some means) increasing resistance increases voltage and power.
 
haruspex said:
No, this is why I asked the questions I asked. You cannot hold all else constant. With voltage constant, increasing resistance reduces current and power; with current constant (by some means) increasing resistance increases voltage and power.
Yes, I understand what you were saying now.
 
Perseverence said:
Yes, I understand what you were saying now.
Thank you. Your statement helps me understand this concept a lot more