1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conformal invariance of null geodesics

1. Sep 24, 2011 #1
    Hi, folks. I hope this is the right forum for this question. I'm not actually taking any classes, but I am doing self-study using D'Inverno's Introducing Einstein's Relativity. I have a solution, and I want someone to check it for me.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the null geodesics of two conformally related metrics coincide.

2. Relevant equations
    Conformally related metrics: [itex]\overline{g}[/itex]ab = [itex]\Omega[/itex]2gab
    Null geodesics: 0 = gab(dxa/du)(dxb/du)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I define the parameter u = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\Omega[/itex]2. Thus [itex]\frac{du}{d\Omega}[/itex] = [itex]\Omega[/itex].

Now, I use the chain rule on the null geodesics equation:
    0 = [itex]\Omega[/itex]2gab(dxa/d[itex]\Omega[/itex])[itex]\frac{d\Omega}{du}[/itex](dxb/d[itex]\Omega[/itex])[itex]\frac{d\Omega}{du}[/itex]
    0 = [itex]\Omega[/itex]2gab(dxa/d[itex]\Omega[/itex])(dxb/d[itex]\Omega[/itex])([itex]\frac{du}{d\Omega}[/itex])-2
    0 = [itex]\Omega[/itex]2gab(dxa/d[itex]\Omega[/itex])(dxb/d[itex]\Omega[/itex])[itex]\Omega[/itex]-2
    0 = gab(dxa/d[itex]\Omega[/itex])(dxb/d[itex]\Omega[/itex]), which is the null geodesics equation with the new parameter [itex]\Omega[/itex].

So is this a legitimate proof of the coinciding of null geodesics of conformally related metrics?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2011 #2
    Bump; can anyone help me?

4. Sep 29, 2011 #3

diazona

Homework Helper

Hmm... is u a parameter for the geodesic? If so, I don't think you can relate it to Ω like that, because the proof should work for arbitrary conformal transformations including (for example) those where Ω is a constant.

5. Sep 29, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it's not right. 0 = gab(dxa/du)(dxb/du) isn't the geodesic equation. It's just says that it's a null curve. And those are obviously conformally invariant. Not all null curves are null geodesics. If you want to see the right way to do it look at Appendix D in Robert Wald's book General Relativity.

6. Sep 30, 2011 #5
    OK, I see now that I should be using the equation:
    d2xa/ds2 + [itex]\Gamma[/itex]abc(dxb/ds)(dxc/ds) = 0

Unfortunately, I am coming up with
    d2xa/ds2 + {[itex]\Gamma[/itex]abc + ([itex]\delta[/itex]ac[itex]\partial[/itex]b[itex]\Omega[/itex] + [itex]\delta[/itex]ab[itex]\partial[/itex]c[itex]\Omega[/itex] - gadgbc[itex]\partial[/itex]d[itex]\Omega[/itex]) / [itex]\Omega[/itex]}(dxb/ds)(dxc/ds) = 0
    as the transformation. I don't see how that is invariant unless d[itex]\Omega[/itex] = 0, and I don't see any reason to make that assumption.

I think I will try looking for that Wald book you mentioned.

Update: Wow, thanks for that tip, Dick. The explanation in the Wald book really cleared things up. It starts by using the affine geodesic equation,
    Xa[itex]\nabla[/itex]aXb = 0,
    and uses a relation between covariant derivatives that I did not find in the Inverno book:
    [itex]\overline{\nabla}[/itex]aXb = [itex]\nabla[/itex]aXb + TbacXc

I find how Tbac transforms conformally and get this equation:
    Xa[itex]\nabla[/itex]aXb = 2XaXb[itex]\nabla[/itex]a(ln [itex]\Omega[/itex]) - gbdgacXaXc[itex]\nabla[/itex]d(ln [itex]\Omega[/itex])

Since it is a null geodesic, gacXaXc = 0, so the equation reduces to:
    Xa[itex]\nabla[/itex]aXb = 2XaXb[itex]\nabla[/itex]a(ln [itex]\Omega[/itex])

The non-affine geodesic equation is Xa[itex]\nabla[/itex]aXb = [itex]\lambda[/itex]Xb, so I just define [itex]\lambda[/itex] = 2Xa[itex]\nabla[/itex]a(ln [itex]\Omega[/itex]), and the geodesic equation is satisfied. This is why the Inverno book gave the hint that both equations need not be affinely parametized.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook