Conformal Mapping: Part II - Finding u and v for Given Values of x and y

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
thomas49th
Messages
645
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



part ii of
http://gyazo.com/0754ea00b2a4ea4a4d171906f6bf28bf


Answers
http://gyazo.com/821f370c502cd20210925f8498d18fa1


Homework Equations



I did part i.
I had to spot that 1/(x+iy)^2 = 1/(x^2+y^2)^2... (I subbed y = y-1)
is this a standard result? Should I just know this?


The Attempt at a Solution


For part ii

from the first part we know what u and v are for the w functions. For x = 0, sub this into u and v giving,
u = -1/(y-1)^2 and v = 0.

But that doesn't agree with the answer

Nor does the y=1 subbing (giving u =1 , v= 0)

I must of interpreted the question wrong. What should I of done?

Thanks
Thomas
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Small mistake:
I mean for subbing y = 1

u = 1/x^2 and v = 0

But that doesn't really help

What am I doing wrong? Am I right in thinking I simply sub the values for x and y into the equations derived in the first part of the question?