Conformal mapping w=1/z - question.

In summary: Once you have them, you should be able to see that the equation of the circle has u=1/2b and v=0, which is the center of the circle with radius 1/2b. In summary, the mapping w=u+iv=1/z transforms the line x=b in the z plane into a circle with radius 1/2b and center at u=1/2b.
peripatein
Hi,

Homework Statement

I'd like to show that the mapping w=u+iv=1/z tranforms the line x=b in the z plane into a circle with radius 1/2b and center at u=1/2b

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

z*w=1=(b+iy)(u+iv)
→ 1=|(bu-yv)+i(bv+yu)|
→ u2+v2=1/(b2+y2)
Now, a circle with radius 1/2b and center at u=1/2b in the w plane would have the following form:
(u-1/2b)2+v2=1/4b2
→ u2+v2=u/b
My problem is now explicitely showing that
1/(b2+y2)=u/b
Which I am unable to do :(.
Any advice? (By the way, I have tried using polar coordinates too, to no avail. I happen to prefer this approach.)

Physics news on Phys.org
peripatein said:
Hi,

Homework Statement

I'd like to show that the mapping w=u+iv=1/z tranforms the line x=b in the z plane into a circle with radius 1/2b and center at u=1/2b

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

z*w=1=(b+iy)(u+iv)
→ 1=|(bu-yv)+i(bv+yu)|
→ u2+v2=1/(b2+y2)
Now, a circle with radius 1/2b and center at u=1/2b in the w plane would have the following form:
(u-1/2b)2+v2=1/4b2
→ u2+v2=u/b
My problem is now explicitely showing that
1/(b2+y2)=u/b
Which I am unable to do :(.
Any advice? (By the way, I have tried using polar coordinates too, to no avail. I happen to prefer this approach.)

I'm not sure where you are really going there. If w=1/z and z=b+iy and w=u+iv, then w=1/(b+iy). Split that into real and imaginary parts to get your u and v.

1. What is conformal mapping in mathematics?

Conformal mapping is a type of mathematical function that preserves angles between intersecting curves. In other words, the mapping maintains the local shape of the original curve, but can distort its overall size and orientation.

2. How is conformal mapping used in science?

Conformal mapping has various applications in science, including in the fields of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and complex analysis. It is particularly useful for visualizing and analyzing complex or multi-dimensional data.

3. What is the formula for the conformal mapping w=1/z?

The formula for the conformal mapping w=1/z is w = u + iv = (x - iy) / (x^2 + y^2), where u and v are the real and imaginary parts of the complex number w, and x and y are the real and imaginary parts of the complex number z.

4. How is the conformal mapping w=1/z used in complex analysis?

The conformal mapping w=1/z is one of the simplest and most frequently used conformal mappings in complex analysis. It is often used to transform complex functions into simpler forms that are easier to analyze and solve.

5. Can conformal mapping be applied to three-dimensional spaces?

Yes, conformal mapping can be applied to three-dimensional spaces. However, it becomes more complex and challenging as the number of dimensions increases. In general, conformal mapping is most commonly used in two-dimensional spaces.