Confused about BC/AD Notations? Learn Here!

• Thread starter Rajini
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary: The julian calendar was introduced in the 4th century by Julius Caesar as a reform of the Roman calendar. It was designed to keep the religious festivals of the Roman Empire consistent with the solar year. It replaced the solar calendar, which had been in use since the days of the Roman Republic. The Julian calendar was designed to be 365.25 days long, slightly more than the 365.24 days in a year on the solar calendar. The Julian calendar became the standard worldwide calendar in the 16th century. However, it was replaced by the Gregorian calendar in the 20th century.
Rajini
Hi everyone,
i really don't understand the philosophy of BC/AD notations..
but i only know the order goes like this:
..., 3 BC, 2 BC, 1 BC, 1 AD, 2 AD, 3AD, ...
Now in which year we are now...
when we say 2010, will it mean 2010 AD??
Why historians always prefer to say in BC AD notations, which is really confusion for me??
this confusion i have from my childhood!
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Rajini said:
Hi everyone,
i really don't understand the philosophy of BC/AD notations..
but i only know the order goes like this:
..., 3 BC, 2 BC, 1 BC, 1 AD, 2 AD, 3AD, ...
Now in which year we are now...
when we say 2010, will it mean 2010 AD??
Why historians always prefer to say in BC AD notations, which is really confusion for me??
this confusion i have from my childhood!
thanks
It's based on the Gregorian calendar which is the most widely accepted in the western world. It is based on Jesus and BC stands for "before christ" and AD stands for "Anno Domini". to confuse things more, BC and AD have been replaced with the more secular BCE (before common era) and CE (Common Era).

Here is a more detailed explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_Domini

Well you can also switch to the geologic notation: BP (Before Present) and 'present' being 1950 AD :tongue:

Ok,
Evo, that means 500 BC = before (2010+500) years.
and
10 AD= before (2010-10) years.
Is this correct..
I also prefer the BP notations..

Rajini said:
Ok,
and
Is this correct..
That's correct. It's more or less an imaginary line in the calendar, just remember there is no zero year, it goes from 1 BC to 1 AD.

Evo said:
That's correct. It's more or less an imaginary line in the calendar, just remember there is no zero year, it goes from 1 BC to 1 AD.

and that why the new millineum didn't actually start until 2001--not 2000

Rajini said:
Ok,
and
Is this correct..
I also prefer the BP notations..

If you're figuring out how many years, probably close enough.

But technically, it should be 500 BC is 2509 years ago

(2010+500-1) since there's no year zero

BobG said:
If you're figuring out how many years, probably close enough.

But technically, it should be 500 BC is 2509 years ago

(2010+500-1) since there's no year zero

wouldn't it be 2508?

since there was no +0 or -0?

Last edited:
Bobg,
as evo said no '0'..so i understand it..
thanks to all

Evo said:

There is actually a zero year in one of the systems (there are two).
E.g. astronomers do at times use a year zero, whereas historians don't...

Just to make things extra confusing...

f95toli said:
There is actually a zero year in one of the systems (there are two).
E.g. astronomers do at times use a year zero, whereas historians don't...

Just to make things extra confusing...
But not in the Gregorian calendar.

Wasn't there a movement in Europe a long while ago that tried to create a whole new system of dates? Time, day, month, year.

MotoH said:
Wasn't there a movement in Europe a long while ago that tried to create a whole new system of dates? Time, day, month, year.

yeah, some goofy decimal system, I think

here's something interesting to think about:

how many days apart are Jan 1 500 BC and Dec 31 501 BC; or Jan 1 500 BC and Dec 31 499 BC?

In other words, if the years go backward in the BC period, do the months and days also? What day does the New Year begin? Jan 1, or Dec 31?

What is the difference between BC and AD?

BC and AD are both notations used to label historical events. BC stands for "Before Christ" and AD stands for "Anno Domini," which is Latin for "in the year of our Lord." The main difference between the two is that BC counts down from the estimated year of Jesus' birth, while AD counts up from that same year.

Why do we use BC and AD instead of BCE and CE?

BC and AD have been used for centuries as a way to date historical events. BCE (Before Common Era) and CE (Common Era) are more modern notations that have been gaining popularity as a way to be more inclusive of non-Christian cultures. However, BC and AD are still widely used and recognized by many.

How is the year 1 AD possible if Jesus was born in 4 BC?

The year 1 AD was established by a monk named Dionysius Exiguus in the 6th century. He calculated the year of Jesus' birth to be 4 BC, but due to a miscalculation, the year 1 AD was officially established as the start of the Christian calendar.

Do all cultures use BC and AD to date historical events?

No, BC and AD are primarily used in Western culture. Other cultures may use different dating systems, such as the Islamic calendar or the Chinese calendar.

Is there a more accurate way to date historical events than BC and AD?

Yes, there are other dating systems that are more accurate, such as the astronomical dating system and the geological dating system. However, BC and AD are still widely used for their historical and cultural significance.