Confused about derivatives of the metric

In summary: This means that the covariant derivatives of the metric vanish and you only have to deal with the second derivatives of the components of g. However, it seems like there may be an issue with your calculation of the curvature tensor if you are not getting the expected answer. It may be helpful to check your work or consult with a mentor or textbook for assistance. In summary, to calculate second derivatives of the metric tensor, you simply differentiate the components twice and do not need to consider Christoffel symbols unless you are calculating covariant derivatives.
quasar_4
Hi,

I am incredibly confused about second derivatives of the metric. I know that in general, the covariant derivative of a vector is given by

[tex] \nabla_a v^b = \partial_a v^b + \Gamma^b_{ac}v^c [/tex]

and I think I understand how to generalize to higher rank tensors (just decompose into an outer product of vectors and covectors and use Leibniz, right?).

But, if we have the metric tensor, and we want to take the 2nd derivative

[tex] \partial_a \partial_b g_{cd} = g_{cd, ab} [/tex]

do I just differentiate the components of g twice or are there Christoffel symbols hiding in there too?? They are just partial derivative symbols and not covariant derivatives, so I don't see how/why we'd do anything but differentiate components of the metric.

But I've been trying to compute a curvature tensor for hours now and I cannot for the life of me get the answer that Maple gets, so I must not understand how to compute 2nd derivatives of the metric... :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed, to calculate
[tex]
\partial_a \partial_b g_{cd} = g_{cd, ab}
[/tex]
you simply take the second derivatives of the components of g. The Christoffel symbols only come in when you want to calculate the covariant derivative
[tex]
\nabla_a \nabla_b g_{cd} = g_{cd; ab}.
[/tex]
Usually, in GR, we choose the Christoffel symbols such that
[tex]
\nabla_a g_{bc} = g_{bc;a} = 0,
[/tex]
the so-called metric compatible connection.

1. What are derivatives of the metric?

Derivatives of the metric refer to the mathematical concept of finding the rate of change of a metric function with respect to its variables. In simpler terms, it is a way to measure how a metric changes as its inputs change.

2. Why are derivatives of the metric important?

Derivatives of the metric are important because they allow us to understand the behavior and properties of a metric function. They are also essential in many areas of science, including physics, economics, and engineering.

3. How are derivatives of the metric calculated?

The derivatives of the metric are calculated using the rules of differentiation, which involve finding the limit of the ratio of the change in the metric function to the change in its inputs as the change in inputs approaches zero.

4. What is the relationship between derivatives of the metric and curvature?

Derivatives of the metric are closely related to curvature, as they help us measure how curved a surface is at a given point. The second derivative of the metric, known as the curvature tensor, is used to fully describe the curvature of a surface.

5. How do derivatives of the metric differ from derivatives of other functions?

Derivatives of the metric differ from derivatives of other functions in that they involve the concept of a metric, which measures the distance between points in a space. This adds an extra layer of complexity and requires a deeper understanding of geometry and calculus.