Confused about some notation used by Griffiths

In summary: So lets just let it go.In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the expectation values of the components of a 1/2 spin particle and confusion about Griffiths' notation for the x and y components. The correct equations for these components are given, but the OP is unsure how Re and Im relate to the factor of 1/2 and why they appear only inside the indices. Through further discussion, it is revealed that the OP was making a mistake in understanding the complex numbers involved, but the issue is resolved by understanding the definitions of Re and Im.
kmm
I worked out the expectation values of the components of a 1/2 spin particle. However, I'm confused about Griffiths notation for the x and y components.

For the x component I got, ## \left< S_x \right> = \frac \hbar 2 (b^*a+a^*b)## which is correct, but Griffiths equates this to ## \hbar~Re(ab^*) ##.

For the y component I got, ## \left< S_y \right> = \frac \hbar 2 i (ab^*-a^*b)##, and Griffiths equates this to ## - \hbar~Im(ab^*)##.

All I know is that Re and I am refer to the real and imaginary parts of a complex number. Since we only have a factor of ##i## for the y component of spin, it makes sense why we use I am here, but I don't understand how ##Re(ab^*) ## or ## Im(ab^*)## absorbed the factor of 1/2. I also don't understand why for both, we have ## ab^*## only inside the indices, when for the x component we have the factor ##(b^*a+a^*b)## and for the y component after factoring out the minus sign, we have the factor ##(a^*b-ab^*)##. Thanks for any help with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
The factor ##2## turned ##\dfrac{\hbar}{2}## into ##\hbar##.

Likes kmm
These relations are true for any complex number...if you add the complex conjugate, the parts with the i in front cancel! And vice-versa

Likes kmm
OK thanks. Well it looks like I need to just review complex numbers, because the factor of 2 and these relations aren't obvious to me.

Well, you add/subtract basically ##a+b## and ##a-b##, and then ##2## of the same are left.

Likes kmm
kmm said:
I worked out the expectation values of the components of a 1/2 spin particle. However, I'm confused about Griffiths notation for the x and y components.

For the x component I got, ## \left< S_x \right> = \frac \hbar 2 (b^*a+a^*b)## which is correct, but Griffiths equates this to ## \hbar~Re(ab^*) ##.

For the y component I got, ## \left< S_y \right> = \frac \hbar 2 i (ab^*-a^*b)##, and Griffiths equates this to ## - \hbar~Im(ab^*)##.

All I know is that Re and I am refer to the real and imaginary parts of a complex number. Since we only have a factor of ##i## for the y component of spin, it makes sense why we use I am here, but I don't understand how ##Re(ab^*) ## or ## Im(ab^*)## absorbed the factor of 1/2. I also don't understand why for both, we have ## ab^*## only inside the indices, when for the x component we have the factor ##(b^*a+a^*b)## and for the y component after factoring out the minus sign, we have the factor ##(a^*b-ab^*)##. Thanks for any help with this.

What exactly was stopping you calculating ##Re(ab^*) ## and ##\frac 1 2 (b^*a+a^*b)##?

Even if you didn't immediately recognise this, what stops you checking these are equal?

PeroK said:
What exactly was stopping you calculating ##Re(ab^*) ## and ##\frac 1 2 (b^*a+a^*b)##?

Even if you didn't immediately recognise this, what stops you checking these are equal?
I’m not sure what lead you to this assumption that I didn’t try. I did try, and then came here when it was clear I was missing something. The previous comments gave me some clues of what I need to review, so I will be continuing to try.

It turns out my problem was in making an embarrassingly simple mistake. I often have erroneously thought of numbers like ##a## or ##b^*## as merely real numbers or a real number with a factor of ##i## attached, and not like the complex number, ##z=x+iy##. With this in mind I was then able to take ##Re(ab^*)##, and have ##a=w+ix## and ##b^*=y-iz##. Working out ##b^*a+a^*b## and ##ab^*-a^*b##, I was able to recover the correct relations. Thanks for the help everyone!

Likes PeroK and DrClaude
Isn't this simply due to
$$\text{Re} z=\frac{z+z^*}{2}, \quad \text{Im} z=\frac{z-z^*}{2\mathrm{i}}$$
for any ##z \in \mathbb{C}##?

vanhees71 said:
Isn't this simply due to
$$\text{Re} z=\frac{z+z^*}{2}, \quad \text{Im} z=\frac{z-z^*}{2\mathrm{i}}$$
for any ##z \in \mathbb{C}##?

I think the OP has already admitted that he misunderstood what is meant by ##b^*##. I think he assumed ##a, b## were real and that ##b^* = bi##.

Likes kmm

1. What are some common notations used by Griffiths in his work?

Some common notations used by Griffiths include the use of boldface for vectors, curly brackets for sets, and a subscript or superscript notation for indicating different quantities or variables. He also frequently uses Greek letters to represent physical quantities.

2. How can I better understand the notations used by Griffiths?

To better understand the notations used by Griffiths, it is important to carefully read and understand the context in which they are used. Additionally, familiarizing oneself with common mathematical symbols and their meanings can also aid in understanding Griffiths' notations.

3. Why does Griffiths use different notations for the same quantity?

Griffiths may use different notations for the same quantity in order to emphasize different aspects or properties of that quantity. For example, he may use a subscript notation to indicate a specific component of a vector, while using a superscript notation to indicate its magnitude.

4. Are there any resources available to help with understanding Griffiths' notations?

Yes, there are many resources available online and in textbooks that can help with understanding Griffiths' notations. Some resources specifically focus on mathematical notations used in physics, while others provide a general overview of mathematical symbols and their meanings.

5. How can I ensure I am using the correct notation when referencing Griffiths' work?

To ensure you are using the correct notation when referencing Griffiths' work, it is important to carefully read and understand the notation used in his work. Additionally, it can be helpful to consult other sources or experts in the field to confirm the correct notation for a specific quantity or variable.