1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused about the nomenclature of this compound (CrO3)

1. Aug 29, 2012 #1
    So i'm a little confused about the nomenclature of this compound (CrO3). is it chromium (VI) oxide? chromic acid? and then Cr2O3 is just plain Chromium (III) oxide right?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2012 #2

AGNuke

Gold Member

Yes, that's it!

4. Aug 30, 2012 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The oxygens in CrO3 and Cr2O3 each have a formal charge of -2.

Neither of these is chromic acid.

5. Aug 30, 2012 #4

AGNuke

Gold Member

CrO3 is Chromium (VI) Oxide or Chromic Anhydride, as if we add water in it, it forms Chromic Acid, which is H2CrO4

6. Aug 31, 2012 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equilibrium of aqueous chromium trioxide lies far to the reactants side. Are you saying that aqueous chromic acid contains significant OH-?

7. Sep 1, 2012 #6

AGNuke

Gold Member

I don't get what you meant. I consulted my teacher and he said that CrO3 is an acidic oxide, thus it can also be referred to as acidic anhydride.

He also mentioned that H2CrO4 is a strong acid, can be considered as an analogue to Sulphuric acid. I can't get what you meant from equilibrium.

See This : Chromium Trioxide

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook