Theory or Reality - Acid/base trends on the periodic table

In summary, according to the periodic trend, oxides of elements on the right side of the periodic table will dissolve in water to form acids, while oxides on the left will dissolve to form bases. However, bi2o3, which is on the right side of the periodic table, is classified as a metal and is not soluble in water.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Number 12. Ignore the scribbling and the circled answers.

http://i.minus.com/i17OAHo9PELaW.jpg

Homework Equations

The periodic table trend of acid/base behavior says that oxides of elements on the right of the periodic table will behave as acids in water. It says that oxides of elements on the left of the periodic table will behave as bases in water (metal hydroxides).

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that SO3 and P4O10 will dissolve in water to form a strong and weak acid, respectively. The metal oxide MgO will form a metal hydroxide. However, I'm not sure what happens to Bi2O3. It's definitely on the right side of the periodic table, so I would expect it to form an acid. However, according to Wikipedia, it is insoluble in water. We were not taught exceptions in class (at least to the periodic trend of acid/base behavior). What would your take be on this question?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Qube said:
What would your take be on this question?

I don't like the question, as it is confusing and ambiguous. Bismuth is amphoteric, so the idea that Bi2O3 can dissolve in water producing traces of acid is quite reasonable. I doubt it would substantially change pH of the solution, so I would go with II and IV (answer 2).

No, even if it is on the right side of the periodic table, it is classified as a metal. Most metal oxides are basic. Also, insoluble is a very confusing term. I guess what wikipedia wanted to say is that it is /sparingly soluble/, meaning it does dissolve in water, but only to a minimum, often negligible extent. So, when Bi2O3 does dissolve in water, it will behave as a base.

The general rule is metal oxides behaves as base when dissolved and nonmetal oxides will behave as an acid when dissolved.

The periodic trends help us to form ideas about the behaviors/properties of compounds. However, I think you should never solely rely on it. Because, as you said, there are many exemptions to the trends.

frozonecom said:
it is classified as a metal

Or metalloid, or near metalloid, depending on whom you listen to.

It is closer to metals than to non-metals, but there is also no doubt about its amphotericity.

Actually, the longer I think about it, the less I am sure about its exact properties. Unfortunately, I don't have my inorganic chemistry textbooks here ATM :\

As a scientist, it is important to understand that theories and trends on the periodic table are not always absolute. While the trend of acid/base behavior suggests that oxides of elements on the right side of the periodic table will behave as acids, there can be exceptions to this rule. In the case of Bi2O3, it may not dissolve in water to form an acid due to its unique chemical properties. It is possible that the amphoteric nature of bismuth, where it can act as both an acid and a base, plays a role in its behavior. This highlights the importance of experimental evidence and observations in addition to theoretical predictions. As a scientist, it is important to always question and investigate any discrepancies or exceptions to established theories and trends.

1. What is the relationship between acid/base trends and the periodic table?

The periodic table is a visual representation of the elements, organized by their atomic structure and properties. The position of an element on the periodic table can give insight into its chemical behavior, including its tendency to act as an acid or base.

2. How do acid/base trends change across the periodic table?

As you move across a period on the periodic table, the acid/base behavior of elements changes. Elements on the left side of the periodic table tend to be more metallic and have a tendency to lose electrons, making them more likely to act as a base. Elements on the right side of the table tend to be more non-metallic and have a tendency to gain electrons, making them more likely to act as an acid.

3. What is the trend for acid/base strength in a group on the periodic table?

Within a group on the periodic table, the acid/base strength typically increases as you move down the group. This is because the elements at the bottom of the group have more energy levels, allowing for larger and more polarizable atoms, which can more easily donate or accept protons.

4. How does the atomic size affect acid/base behavior on the periodic table?

Atomic size plays a significant role in acid/base behavior on the periodic table. As the atomic size increases, the polarizability of the atom also increases, making it easier for the atom to donate or accept protons. This is why elements with larger atomic sizes, such as those in the lower rows of the periodic table, tend to be stronger bases.

5. What are some exceptions to the acid/base trends on the periodic table?

While the acid/base trends on the periodic table are generally reliable, there are some exceptions. For example, elements in the boron group (Group 13) tend to be weak acids, despite being located on the non-metallic side of the periodic table. This is due to their unique electronic configurations and bonding patterns.