Confused on partial differentiation.

In summary, when finding the second derivative .\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}. in polar coordinates, there are two methods that can be used. The first method involves using the standard partial differentiation rule, while the second method involves using the product rule. The book follows the second method, but the two methods may not always give the same answer. The reason for this is that when substituting the first partial .\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}. into the equation, the product rule must be applied to account for the other partials involved.
yungman
In the process of deriving .[tex]\nabla^2u(x,y)[/tex]. in polar coordinates I am confuse how to work through the steps. The first step from the book is to find [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} [/tex]

Standard partial differentiation is at follow:
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial r} \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\;+\; \frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x} [/tex]

If we use the same method of partial differentiation to continue to find .[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/tex]. we should perform:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}= \frac{\partial}{\partial r}(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}) \;\; \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} \;+\; \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}) \;\; \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x} [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}= \frac{\partial}{\partial r}[\frac{\partial u}{\partial r} \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\;+\; \frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}] \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} \;+\; \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}[\frac{\partial u}{\partial r} \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\;+\; \frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}] \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x} [/tex]

But the book did this differently:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}= \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[\frac{\partial u}{\partial r} \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\;+\; \frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}] [/tex]

Then apply product rule:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}= [\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}) + \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}\frac{\partial^2r}{\partial x^2}]\;+\; [\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}) + \frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial^2 \theta}{\partial x^2}][/tex]

Obvious the two don't give the same answer. Why don't the book need to perform the second derivative like the first one like what I did?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am confused on what you did. When I calculated the second partial, I got the same answer as your book. The way your book did it is the easiest way I can see. By definition:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left( \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \right)[/tex]

Can you explain this statement more:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}= \frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right) \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right) \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}[/tex]

I am just not seeing the transition...

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the reply. I am sure I am wrong and the book is right...so are you. I am just looking at the first partial differentiation:

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial r} \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\;+\; \frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x} [/tex]

You notice even though it is .[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/tex]. , you still see differentiation of theta in the second part. All I did is treating [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/tex] as u of the first differentiation and so there is a term of differentiation by theta.

I am just following the partial differentiation rule by the book that if u is function of .[tex]r \;and\; \theta[/tex]. and both are function of x, then [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/tex]. has to have terms differentiation by both .[tex]r \;and\; \theta[/tex]

Tell me why it does not work the same way as the first differentiation?

Thanks

Alan

Oh I see what you did there. That substitution is a bit of a risky move. When you substitute the first partial of u into the equation, you seem to be ignoring the product rule.

The function u(r(x),θ(x)) is easy to differentiate with respect to x and find the formula you have, just by applying the chain rule. But now your partial ux is a completely new function, which includes products of functions (the other partials), therefore you have to apply the product rule.

It is important to understand that there are multiple ways to approach and solve a problem, especially in mathematics. In this case, both methods are valid and will ultimately give the same answer. The difference lies in the order in which the partial derivatives are taken.

In the first method, the partial derivatives with respect to r and theta are taken first and then the second derivative with respect to x is taken. This is known as the chain rule and is often used in situations where the variables are not explicitly defined in terms of each other, such as in polar coordinates where r and theta are functions of x and y.

In the second method, the partial derivative with respect to x is taken first, using the product rule, and then the second derivative with respect to x is taken. This method is often used when the variables are explicitly defined in terms of each other, such as in Cartesian coordinates where x and y are independent variables.

It is important to familiarize yourself with both methods and understand when to use each one. Both methods are equally valid and will give the same answer, so it is ultimately a matter of personal preference and which method is easier to understand and apply in a given situation.

1. What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. It is used to analyze how a change in one variable affects the overall function.

2. Why is partial differentiation important?

Partial differentiation is important because it allows us to understand the relationships between variables in a multivariable function. It is used in many fields of science and engineering to analyze complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.

3. How is partial differentiation different from ordinary differentiation?

Ordinary differentiation, also known as single-variable differentiation, is used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable. Partial differentiation, on the other hand, is used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant.

4. What is the process of partial differentiation?

The process of partial differentiation involves taking the derivative of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables while treating all other variables as constants. This is done by differentiating each term of the function separately and then combining the results.

5. How is partial differentiation used in real-world applications?

Partial differentiation is used in many real-world applications, such as economics, physics, engineering, and statistics. It can help analyze the behavior of complex systems, optimize functions, and make predictions about the future based on current data.