Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused on partial differentiation.

1. Apr 26, 2010 #1
    In the process of deriving .[tex]\nabla^2u(x,y)[/tex]. in polar coordinates I am confuse how to work through the steps. The first step from the book is to find [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} [/tex]

Standard partial differentiation is at follow:
    [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial r} \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\;+\; \frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x} [/tex]

If we use the same method of partial differentiation to continue to find .[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/tex]. we should perform:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}= \frac{\partial}{\partial r}(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}) \;\; \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} \;+\; \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}) \;\; \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x} [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}= \frac{\partial}{\partial r}[\frac{\partial u}{\partial r} \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\;+\; \frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}] \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} \;+\; \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}[\frac{\partial u}{\partial r} \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\;+\; \frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}] \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x} [/tex]

But the book did this differently:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}= \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[\frac{\partial u}{\partial r} \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\;+\; \frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}] [/tex]

Then apply product rule:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}= [\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}) + \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}\frac{\partial^2r}{\partial x^2}]\;+\; [\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}) + \frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial^2 \theta}{\partial x^2}][/tex]

Obvious the two don't give the same answer. Why don't the book need to perform the second derivative like the first one like what I did?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2010 #2
    I am confused on what you did. When I calculated the second partial, I got the same answer as your book. The way your book did it is the easiest way I can see. By definition:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left( \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \right)[/tex]

Can you explain this statement more:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}= \frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right) \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right) \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}[/tex]

I am just not seeing the transition...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  4. Apr 26, 2010 #3
    Thanks so much for the reply. I am sure I am wrong and the book is right....so are you. I am just looking at the first partial differentiation:

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial r} \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\;+\; \frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x} [/tex]

You notice even though it is .[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/tex]. , you still see differentiation of theta in the second part. All I did is treating [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/tex] as u of the first differentiation and so there is a term of differentiation by theta.

I am just following the partial differentiation rule by the book that if u is function of .[tex]r \;and\; \theta[/tex]. and both are function of x, then [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/tex]. has to have terms differentiation by both .[tex]r \;and\; \theta[/tex]

Tell me why it does not work the same way as the first differentiation?

Thanks

Alan

5. Apr 27, 2010 #4
    Oh I see what you did there. That substitution is a bit of a risky move. When you substitute the first partial of u into the equation, you seem to be ignoring the product rule.

The function u(r(x),θ(x)) is easy to differentiate with respect to x and find the formula you have, just by applying the chain rule. But now your partial ux is a completely new function, which includes products of functions (the other partials), therefore you have to apply the product rule.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook