Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion about eigenvalues of an operator

1. Feb 21, 2016 #1
    Suppose ##V## is a complex vector space of dimension ##n## and ##T## an operator in it. Furthermore, suppose ##v\in V##. Then I form a list of vectors in ##V##, ##(v,Tv,T^2v,\ldots,T^mv)## where ##m>n##. Due to the last inequality, the vectors in that list must be linearly dependent. This implies that the equation
    $$
    0=a_0v+a_1Tv+a_2T^2v+\ldots+a_mT^mv
    $$
    are satisfied by some nonzero coefficients. For a particular case, assume that the above equation is satisfied by some choice of coefficients where all of them are nonzero.
    Now since the equation above forms a polynomial, I can write the factorized form
    $$
    0=A(T-\mu_1)\ldots(T-\mu_m)v
    $$
    The last equation suggests that ##T## has ##m## eigenvalues. But this contradicts the fact that ##T## is an operator in a vector space of dimension ##n<m##. Where is my mistake?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2016 #2
    ##T## is an operator whereas ##\mu_i## is a scalar. Instead you should write ##T-\mu_iI_n##.

Suppose ##m=n+1##, and take ##\mu_1, \ldots, \mu_n## to be the eigenvalues of ##T##. Then clearly the final equation holds for an arbitrary choice of ##\mu_{n+1}##. So your mistake is in concluding that ##T## must have more than ##n## eigenvalues, which is a non sequitur.

4. Feb 21, 2016 #3
    Why does it have to be ##m=n+1##? I can take ##m## any value I want such that it is bigger than ##n##.

5. Feb 21, 2016 #4
    Indeed, you can--I was simply providing a counterexample to get you started.
    The eigenvalues of ##T## will always be contained in some proper subset of ##\{\mu_1,\ldots,\mu_m\}##, so at least 1 of the choices for ##\mu_i## will be arbitrary.

6. Mar 1, 2016 #5

Demystifier

Science Advisor

No it doesn't. From the equation above it does not follow that
    $$(T-\mu_i)v=0$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook