Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion about getting uncertainty by using differetiation.

1. Sep 14, 2009 #1
    My question comes from my homework, but I don't think it's a homework question, so I put it here, still I will put the homework in this thread caus I think it would help.
    HW problem: Show that for a free particle the uncertainty relation can also be written as
    [tex]\delta \lambda \delta x \ge \frac{{{\lambda ^2}}}{{4\pi }}[/tex].
    Where [tex]\delta \lambda [/tex] is the de Broglie's wave length
    My solution is :
    [tex]\delta \lambda = |\frac{{d\lambda }}{{dp}}|\delta p = \frac{h}{{{p^2}}}\delta p[/tex]
    so [tex]\delta \lambda \delta x = \frac{h}{{{p^2}}}\delta x\delta p \ge \frac{h}{{{p^2}}}\frac{h}{{4\pi }} = \frac{1}{{4\pi }}{(\frac{h}{p})^2} = \frac{{{\lambda ^2}}}{{4\pi }}[/tex]

Although I got the expected result, but I really doubt if it's legal to use differentiation here. Because [tex]\delta p[/tex] is a standard deviation not increment. Using differentiation just means you map the range [tex]\delta p[/tex] to another range [tex]\delta \lambda [/tex] as if they were increments. [tex]\delta p[/tex] is the standard deviation for [tex]\delta p[/tex] distribution, but how do you know the [tex]\delta \lambda [/tex] is the standard deviation for [tex]\delta \lambda [/tex] distribution?

And I try to work out a counterexample:
    Suppose W and G are two physical quantities, G follows the normal distribution
    [tex]G = \frac{{10}}{{\sigma \sqrt {2\pi } }}\exp ( - \frac{{{x^2}}}{{2{\sigma ^2}}})[/tex]

[tex]W = 100G = \frac{{1000}}{{\sigma \sqrt {2\pi } }}\exp ( - \frac{{{x^2}}}{{2{\sigma ^2}}})[/tex]

So W and G should have the same standard deviation [tex]\sigma [/tex] (I'm not quite sure , am I correct at this?), but differentiation tells you the standard deviation should be 100 times of the first distribution.

EDIT: My counterexample is wrong, please ignore it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2009 #2
    Basicly what I'm trying to ask is:
    if g=g(f), and I used [tex]\delta g=\frac{{dg}}{{df}}\delta f[/tex]. Then actually I presumed
    [tex]\sqrt{<(g-<g>)^2>}\approx\frac{{dg}}{{df}}\sqrt{<(f-<f>)^2>}[/tex], but I can't see how to prove this.

4. Sep 15, 2009 #3

Avodyne

Science Advisor

You're correct that it's only approximately true. It's like approximating f(x) near x=a by f(a)+f'(a)(x-a).

5. Sep 15, 2009 #4
    I understand in the differentiation case why f(a)+f'(a)(x-a) is the first order approximation. But I just can't see in any way a standard deviation should behave like this, even in an approximation sense.
    So [tex]\delta g=\frac{{dg}}{{df}}\delta f[/tex] just seems to me more like an abuse of the notation delta here

6. Sep 16, 2009 #5
    Anybody can help, or is there any really correct way of doing this problem? My head really exploded, any help is appreciated.

7. Sep 16, 2009 #6

Avodyne

Science Advisor

8. Sep 17, 2009 #7
    Em, so I can use first order part of Taylor expansion to prove it, that's very helpful, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook