Confusion about the equation KE=1/2mv^2

• I
  • Thread starter Sangari Indiraj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusion
In summary: If an object accelerates or decelerates (i.e. change in kinetic energy), there must be a force implicated somehow. It's really that force that does the work (not the ##m\vec{a}## vector which is only reacting to the force).
Sangari Indiraj
Summary: at what circumstances the kinetic energy equation can be applied?

My teacher says that, when a constant force is applied and the object moves by d meters, then the work done can be expressed 1/2mv2 where v is the final velocity.
But, what happens if the object moves in a constant velocity in a frictionless surface? can we apply the kinetic energy equation at this time?
In what circumstances this equation is applicable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sangari Indiraj said:
Summary: at what circumstances the kinetic energy equation can be applied?

But, what happens if the object moves in a constant velocity in a frictionless surface? c
In the frictionless case, there is no force and no energy required to move at constant velocity.

But accelerating from zero to constant velocity v requires force, and the energy needed will be 1/2 mv2.

But with friction it does take force to move at constant velocity. That uses energy, but the energy in that case goes to heat at the surfaces experiencing friction, not in kinetic energy.

So when working with Newton's Laws, you must be careful to correctly describe the system. An incorrect description leads you to an incorrect conclusion.

Likes Sangari Indiraj and Lnewqban
Sangari Indiraj said:
In all cases. The KE of a particle with speed ##v## is always ##\frac 1 2 mv^2##. This may be a constant speed or an instantaneous speed. Note that speed is the magnitude of velocity, which is in general a vector.

How the particle attained the speed ##v## is another question.

Likes CPW, bob012345 and Lnewqban
Sangari Indiraj said:
My teacher says that, when a constant force is applied and the object moves by d meters, then the work done can be expressed 1/2mv2 where v is the final velocity.
That is not entirely true. The work done is:
$$W = \frac{1}{2}m(v_f^2 - v_i^2)$$
From the basic definition of work:
$$dE= Fdx$$
Assuming that the body is accelerating:
$$dE = madx$$
$$dE = m\left(\frac{v}{dt}\right)dx$$
$$dE = mv\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)$$
$$dE = mvdv$$
$$\int_{E_f}^{E_i} dE = \int_{v_i}^{v_f} mvdv$$
$$E_f - E_i = \frac{1}{2}mv_f^2 - \frac{1}{2}mv_i^2$$
So the work done is really the energy difference between two states.
Sangari Indiraj said:
But, what happens if the object moves in a constant velocity in a frictionless surface?
If the velocity is constant, you can see from the equation that there is no work done ... anyway related to acceleration. If there was friction ##F_f## AND a constant velocity - i.e. there is a displacement ##\Delta x## - then there would be work done that amount to ##F_f\Delta x##.
Sangari Indiraj said:
When there is an acceleration. Used in the simple form you presented (##\frac{1}{2}mv^2##), it represents the potential kinetic energy that could be extracted by decelerating the object to a stop.

• Informative
Likes malawi_glenn and anorlunda
jack action said:
That is not entirely true. The work done is:
From the basic definition of work:
$$dE= Fdx$$
Assuming that the body is accelerating:
$$dE = madx$$
$$dE = m\left(\frac{v}{dt}\right)dx$$
$$dE = mv\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)$$
$$dE = mvdv$$
$$\int_{E_f}^{E_i} dE = \int_{v_i}^{v_f} mvdv$$
$$E_f - E_i = \frac{1}{2}mv_f^2 - \frac{1}{2}mv_i^2$$
So the work done is really the energy difference between two states.

If the velocity is constant, you can see from the equation that there is no work done ... anyway related to acceleration. If there was friction ##F_f## AND a constant velocity - i.e. there is a displacement ##\Delta x## - then there would be work done that amount to ##F_f\Delta x##.

When there is an acceleration. Used in the simple form you presented (##\frac{1}{2}mv^2##), it represents the potential kinetic energy that could be extracted by decelerating the object to a stop.
So, when an object moves in a constant velocity, in a frictional surface, the work we do is the work done against friction instead of change in kinetic energy?

Sangari Indiraj said:
So, when an object moves in a constant velocity, in a frictional surface, the work we do is the work done against friction instead of change in kinetic energy?
Yes.

Sangari Indiraj said:
Yes. The definition of work is a force that moves. It doesn't specify the origin of the force.

If an object accelerates or decelerates (i.e. change in kinetic energy), there must be a force implicated somehow. It's really that force that does the work (not the ##m\vec{a}## vector which is only reacting to the force).

If two opposing but equal forces act on a moving body (i.e. no change in kinetic energy), each does work but cancels each other out (work can be negative), so no work done on the body as a whole.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Lnewqban and malawi_glenn
Sangari Indiraj said:
You should be confident that energy is always conserved, and that in mechanics work = force * distance. But it is easy to get confused about where the energy goes, or about how much work is done by which object. If the theories appear to be wrong, then you made a mistake somewhere.

Likes Lnewqban

What is the equation KE=1/2mv^2?

The equation KE=1/2mv^2 is the formula for calculating the kinetic energy of an object. It relates the mass (m) and velocity (v) of an object to its kinetic energy (KE).

Why is there a 1/2 in the equation KE=1/2mv^2?

The 1/2 in the equation represents the constant factor of 1/2 that is necessary for accurately calculating kinetic energy. This factor comes from the derivation of the formula and is a result of the work-energy theorem.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is a scalar quantity and is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

What is the unit of measurement for kinetic energy?

The unit of measurement for kinetic energy is joules (J). This is the standard unit for all forms of energy in the International System of Units (SI).

Can the equation KE=1/2mv^2 be applied to all objects?

Yes, the equation KE=1/2mv^2 can be applied to all objects regardless of their shape, size, or composition. However, it is important to note that this equation only applies to objects that are moving at non-relativistic speeds.