• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Confusion about the Heaviside method

• Thread starter ali PMPAINT
  • Start date
Problem Statement
described on picture
Relevant Equations
described on picture
So, Heavside's method confused me, I mean, but we can't divide by zero, can we?
Capture.PNG

So, my mind sees it as cheating, and to multiply both sides by zero to cancel zeros, and for the example above(from Thomas Calulus), when x = 1, before you multiply by x-1(=0), you get: 2/0=A/0+B/-1+c/-2, and I think you get the point where I am confused, where am I misunderstanding Heavside's method?

But it is not multiplied by zero. It is multiplied by the variable ##x-1##.
Either case, before or after canceling ##x-1##. The equality holds for the limit ##x=1##.

You cannot cancel zeros, but you can cancel expressions, because same expressions have the same behavior (Same value at any chosen point). Take the following:

$$\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{x}{x}=1$$

Even without cancelling the terms ##x##, the limit is ##1##. Although, approaching the function ##x## itself is zero. Cancelling expressions is not the same as cancelling numbers.

You can check the previous with a simple table, approaching zero from the left and the right of ##x##.

**Not an expert, but this is what I think.

You cannot cancel zeros, but you can cancel expressions, because same expressions have the same behavior (Same value at any chosen point). Take the following:

$$\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{x}{x}=1$$
Well, you're kind of right, but $$\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{x}{x}=1$$ doesn't imply x/x = 1 when x = 0, does it?
So, if you're saying that we should take the limit as x is approaching to a specific number, like 1 on the first post example, it doesn't mean that the value EQUALS the number it approaches, so, although I liked your reasoning, I'm still not convinced.

\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{x}{x}=1 doesn't imply x/x = 1 when x = 0, does it?
The limit is 1 for ##x\rightarrow 0##.

Well, it is more like a removable discontinuity. Sadly, this is my best explanation, maybe others can help us understand.