Why Does Flipping the Denominator in Complex Fractions Give the Wrong Answer?

In summary, to simplify the fraction ##\frac{2}{\frac{5}{3}}##, you can use the method of multiplying by the reciprocal, which is equivalent to dividing by the fraction. This can be seen by rewriting the fraction as ##2 \cdot \left(5 \cdot 3^{-1}\right)^{-1}##, which simplifies to ##\frac{6}{5}##. This method is based on the concept of inverse elements and can be thought of as multiplying by 1 in a strategic way.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
I am trying to simplify ##\frac {2}{\frac{5}{3}}##.
Relevant Equations
Please see below
My first method to simplify the fraction is to to I flip ##\frac{5}{3}## up I get ##2 \times \frac{3}{5} = \frac{6}{5}##

Method 2: if I flip 3 up I get ##\frac{2}{5} \times \frac{1}{3} = \frac{2}{15}##.

Method 3: I could use it multiply ##\frac{3}{3}## since this is the same as mutlipying by ##1##. ##\frac{2}{\frac{5}{3}} \times \frac{3}{3}## so the ##3## cancels giving ##\frac{6}{5}##

I know the method in bold gives the wrong answer. However, why dose it not work?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
if I flip 3 up I get ##\frac{2}{5} \times \frac{1}{3} = \frac{2}{15}##

The wording is horrifying: "Flipping up" ?:)

You multiply numerator and denominator by 3 to get ##\frac{2}{5} \times {3} = \frac{6}{5}##

##\ ##

Likes Grelbr42 and ChiralSuperfields
BvU said:
if I flip 3 up I get ##\frac{2}{5} \times \frac{1}{3} = \frac{2}{15}##

You multiply numerator and denominator by 3 to get ##\frac{2}{5} \times {3} = \frac{6}{5}##

##\ ##
Thank you for your help @BvU!

I agree about the wording.

Many thanks!

There's this method I knew as the " Double C"
Sorry, will edit when I get on my pc.
##\frac {2}{\frac {5}{3}}##=##\frac {\frac {2}{1}}{\frac {5}{3}}##
Now do a" double C"

Top 2 with bottom 3, bottom 1 with top 5= ##\frac {2.3}{1.5}=\frac{6}{5}##

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes ChiralSuperfields
I like to think of reducing fractions as just multiplying by 1, with a judicious choice of how that's represented to cancel or move the parts I want. Like this:
$$ \frac{2}{\frac{5}{3}} = \frac{2}{\frac{5}{3}} ⋅ 1 = \frac{2}{\frac{5}{3}} ⋅ \frac{3}{3} = \frac{2⋅3}{\frac{5}{3}⋅3} = \frac{6}{5} $$
It's pretty simple in this context, but it's also really useful later in your studies with complex numbers, polynomial fractions, unit conversions, etc.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
WWGD said:
There's this method I knew as the " Double C"
Sorry, will edit when I get on my pc.
##\frac {2}{\frac {5}{3}}##=##\frac {\frac {2}{1}}{\frac {5}{3}}##
Now do a" double C"

Top 2 with bottom 3, bottom 1 with top 5= ##\frac {2.3}{1.5}=\frac{6}{5}##
Thank you for your reply @WWGD !

No need to edit it!

Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes WWGD
DaveE said:
I like to think of reducing fractions as just multiplying by 1, with a judicious choice of how that's represented to cancel or move the parts I want. Like this:
$$ \frac{2}{\frac{5}{3}} = \frac{2}{\frac{5}{3}} ⋅ 1 = \frac{2}{\frac{5}{3}} ⋅ \frac{3}{3} = \frac{2⋅3}{\frac{5}{3}⋅3} = \frac{6}{5} $$
It's pretty simple in this context, but it's also really useful later in your studies with complex numbers, polynomial fractions, unit conversions, etc.
Thank you for your reply @DaveE!

That is a good way to think of it!

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
Homework Statement:: I am trying to simplify ##\frac {2}{\frac{5}{3}}##.
Relevant Equations:: Please see below

My first method to simplify the fraction is to to I flip ##\frac{5}{3}## up I get ##2 \times \frac{3}{5} = \frac{6}{5}##
Division by a fraction is equivalent to multiplying by the reciprocal of that fraction. So ##\frac a {\frac b c} = a \cdot \frac c b##.

"Flipping" is something that one does to a hamburger patty. It is not a recognized mathematical operation.
BvU said:
Amen!

Likes fresh_42, SammyS and ChiralSuperfields
I like to think about the division that it does not exist! What we call division is basically a multiplication with inverse elements: ##\dfrac{x}{y}=x\cdot y^{-1}## where ##y^{-1}## is the unique element with ##y\cdot y^{-1}=1.##

What we do have is ##\dfrac{2}{\frac{5}{3}}=2\cdot \left(5\cdot 3^{-1}\right)^{-1}.## Inverse elements are defined. They are the solution to ##a \cdot x =1.## This means we really have
\begin{align*}
\dfrac{2}{\frac{5}{3}}&=2\cdot \left(5\cdot 3^{-1}\right)^{-1}=2\cdot \left(3^{-1}\right)^{-1} \cdot 5^{-1}=2\cdot 3 \cdot 5^{-1}=6\cdot 5^{-1}
\end{align*}
and in common phrasing ##=\dfrac{6}{5}.##

You do not have to follow this way of thinking about it, but it is the mathematical background. Multiplying with the inverted or flipped or whatever quotient is only the crutch. It is actually the multiplication with the multiplicative inverse element.

Likes DaveE and ChiralSuperfields
fresh_42 said:
I like to think about the division that it does not exist! What we call division is basically a multiplication with inverse elements: ##\dfrac{x}{y}=x\cdot y^{-1}## where ##y^{-1}## is the unique element with ##y\cdot y^{-1}=1.##

What we do have is ##\dfrac{2}{\frac{5}{3}}=2\cdot \left(5\cdot 3^{-1}\right)^{-1}.## Inverse elements are defined. They are the solution to ##a \cdot x =1.## This means we really have
\begin{align*}
\dfrac{2}{\frac{5}{3}}&=2\cdot \left(5\cdot 3^{-1}\right)^{-1}=2\cdot \left(3^{-1}\right)^{-1} \cdot 5^{-1}=2\cdot 3 \cdot 5^{-1}=6\cdot 5^{-1}
\end{align*}
and in common phrasing ##=\dfrac{6}{5}.##

You do not have to follow this way of thinking about it, but it is the mathematical background. Multiplying with the inverted or flipped or whatever quotient is only the crutch. It is actually the multiplication with the multiplicative inverse element.
Thanks for sharing @fresh_42 ! That is so cool!

1. What is a complex fraction?

A complex fraction is a fraction where either the numerator or denominator (or both) contains a fraction or expression. For example, 2/3 + 1/4 is a complex fraction because the numerator contains a fraction.

2. How do you simplify a complex fraction?

To simplify a complex fraction, you must first find the common denominator of all the fractions within the numerator and denominator. Then, you can combine the fractions and simplify as you would a regular fraction.

3. Can complex fractions be converted into regular fractions?

Yes, complex fractions can be converted into regular fractions by following the same steps as simplifying a complex fraction. Find the common denominator and combine the fractions to create a regular fraction.

4. Are complex fractions used in real-life situations?

Yes, complex fractions are used in many real-life situations, such as in engineering, physics, and finance. They are especially useful in situations where there are multiple layers of fractions or expressions involved.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving complex fraction problems?

Some common mistakes when solving complex fraction problems include forgetting to find the common denominator, not simplifying the fractions within the numerator and denominator, and making calculation errors. It is important to double check your work and simplify the final answer as much as possible.