Confusion about this min() operator

So, if you were trying to find the minimum of a function, you would vary the variable in the expression "f(x)" until you found the minimum. However, if you were trying to find the minimum of a function over a range of values, you would have to specify that range as a subscript underneath the "min" operator.In summary, the conversation discusses a difficulty in understanding a notation related to planning algorithms, specifically the use of the "min" operator with subscripts. The conversation also mentions a resource for the equations and asks for clarification on the purpose of the subscripts. A possible explanation is provided, stating that the subscripts indicate a range of values to be considered for the minimum expression.
Jyan
I'm reading about planning algorithms and I'm having some difficulty understanding a bit of notation here. The pdf I'm reading is "planning.cs.uiuc.edu/ch2.pdf" and the equation in question is on page 11. I'm not sure I understand what the min operator with all the subscripts actually means. Can anyone try to enlighten me?

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
Jyan said:
I'm reading about planning algorithms and I'm having some difficulty understanding a bit of notation here. The pdf I'm reading is "planning.cs.uiuc.edu/ch2.pdf" and the equation in question is on page 11. I'm not sure I understand what the min operator with all the subscripts actually means. Can anyone try to enlighten me?

Thanks,

It means the minimum of the expression in braces, over uk, uk+1, ... , uK. It might help your understanding to expand the summation that's inside the braces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are the subscripts underneath "min" necessary? I just don't understand what meaning they add over just writing "min" alone.

Jyan said:
Why are the subscripts underneath "min" necessary? I just don't understand what meaning they add over just writing "min" alone.
It tells you that everything else, that isn't a subscript, should be treated as constant.

I can understand how certain notations or equations can be confusing, especially when it comes to complex topics such as planning algorithms. The min() operator with subscripts is used to represent the minimum value among a set of values. The subscripts indicate which values are being compared. For example, if the equation is min(x1, x2, x3), it means that the minimum value among x1, x2, and x3 will be chosen. In the context of planning algorithms, this operator is often used to select the best possible option among a set of choices. I hope this explanation helps to clarify any confusion you may have had. If you need further clarification, I suggest reaching out to the authors of the pdf or consulting with a colleague or mentor in the field.

1. What is the purpose of the min() operator?

The min() operator is used to find the minimum value among a set of numbers or values. It returns the smallest value in a given set of data.

2. How do you use the min() operator in a programming language?

The syntax for using the min() operator varies depending on the programming language. In general, it is written as "min(value1, value2, ...)" where the values can be numbers, variables, or expressions. Some languages also allow the use of the min() function, which takes in an array or list of values.

3. Can the min() operator be used on non-numeric data?

Yes, the min() operator can be used on non-numeric data such as strings or objects. The comparison is based on the ASCII values of the characters, with lowercase letters having higher values than uppercase letters.

4. How does the min() operator handle null or undefined values?

If any of the values passed into the min() operator is null or undefined, it will return NaN (Not a Number) as the result. Therefore, it is important to check for null or undefined values before using the min() operator to avoid errors.

5. Is the min() operator inclusive or exclusive of the minimum value?

The min() operator is inclusive, meaning that if more than one value in the set is the minimum, it will return the first occurrence of that value. For example, if the values are 1, 1, and 2, the min() operator will return 1 as the minimum value.