Confusion about this min() operator

• Thread starter Jyan
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm reading about planning algorithms and I'm having some difficulty understanding a bit of notation here. The pdf i'm reading is "planning.cs.uiuc.edu/ch2.pdf" [Broken] and the equation in question is on page 11. I'm not sure I understand what the min operator with all the subscripts actually means. Can anyone try to enlighten me?

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

I'm reading about planning algorithms and I'm having some difficulty understanding a bit of notation here. The pdf i'm reading is "planning.cs.uiuc.edu/ch2.pdf" [Broken] and the equation in question is on page 11. I'm not sure I understand what the min operator with all the subscripts actually means. Can anyone try to enlighten me?

Thanks,
It means the minimum of the expression in braces, over uk, uk+1, ... , uK. It might help your understanding to expand the summation that's inside the braces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are the subscripts underneath "min" necessary? I just don't understand what meaning they add over just writing "min" alone.

DrGreg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Why are the subscripts underneath "min" necessary? I just don't understand what meaning they add over just writing "min" alone.
It tells you that everything else, that isn't a subscript, should be treated as constant.