1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion - Diff Eq for a Circuit? What does my professor mean?

1. Mar 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My professor wants us to derive a differential equation for the current in a circuit.

The circuit has a battery with voltage E, resistor with resistance (iR)??, and inductance L. It's in series.

3. The attempt at a solution

What REALLY confuses me are these things:

Why iR instead of R? Is the i supposed to represent current? Then why is it given for the resistance and not inductance? I don't think it could be a complex number.. it just wouldn't make sense.

Anyway, I assumed she meant R instead of iR. Then I set up a diff eq like this:

i(t)*R + L(d/dt)i(t) = 0
    after a bit of math, I got
    d(i(t))/i(t) = -(R/L)dt
    and integrating some more math...
    i(t) = Cexp(-(R/L)t) where C is some constant.
    okay, that's fine. It seems to make sense to me

But then she wants us to solve it if i(0) = 0 and i(t=0) = 0.

First of all.. isn't she saying the exact same thing twice? i(0) = i(t=0) I'm guessing?
    And second of all... according to my equation, i(0) = Cexp(0) = 0 implies C = 0, or that the whole expression is 0. How do I solve the differential equation if C = 0 exactly? Or does it only have a solution of 0?

Any clarification could help. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Shouldn't it be

E = i(t)R+ Ldi/dt

4. Mar 22, 2010 #3
    ah, okay. that makes more sense. I should be able to figure something out - thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook