1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion regarding Thermodynamics - Molar Specific Heats for Gases

1. Sep 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    From Giancoli's UC Berkeley edition Physics for Engineers and Scientists:
    A 2.00 mole sample of N2 (nitrogen) gas at 0 degrees C is heating to 150 degrees C at constant pressure (1.00 atm). Determine the heat added to it.

2. Relevant equations
    Variables in equations: V = volume, P = pressure, C = Molar Specific Heat, n = moles, T = temperature, Q = heat

(I thought this was relevant but apparently it isn't and I don't understand why): Q = nC(delta T), with C being the molar specific heat constant for Nitrogen at constant pressure.

(actually relevant): for a process at constant pressure, Q = (change in internal energy) + P(delta V), which I can see is just the first law of thermodynamics.

Also, (internal energy) = (5/2)nRT for a diatomic gas

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is kind of a request for clarification, rather than at solving the actual problem. Basically, right when I read the problem, I thought to myself that the first equation above (Q = nC(delta T)) would be the solution. It explicitly states in the book that the heat Q needed to raise the temperature of n moles of gas by delta T is given by that equation. However, that equation doesn't work. I eventually figured out that I'd have to use some equations on the next page, which are the other relevant equations that I posted, to solve the problem. So, I was able to get the solution. However, I still don't understand why the first equation I tried failed to work, and that bothers me. I am certain that I used the correct SI units. Any help?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2010 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equation Q = nCpΔT should work for a constant pressure process unless you used an incorrect value for Cp. In your "attempt for a solution" you don't specify what you used for C. You should have used Cp. Don't forget that Cp=CV+R which in this case gives Cp=(7/2)R.

4. Sep 17, 2010 #3
    I apologize for the lack of clarity. I indeed used the correct CP, so I really don't know what I did wrong. It's pretty infuriating. I checked back and forth countless times to make sure I didn't misread; the process is indeed one of constant pressure.

5. Sep 17, 2010 #4
    So you did

Q=n*7/2*R*150K

because using first law gives the same equation

Q=5/2nR*∆T+nR∆T=7/2nR∆T

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook