Does Mass Matter in Free Fall?

In summary, Galileo's experiment proved that two objects of different weights will fall at the same speed in a free fall, provided they are not in a gravitational field.
tomlib
Hello. I read on Wikipedia that when a body is in free fall from zero mass, its mass does not matter and two bodies of different weights will fall at the same speed. I think this is not correct. If I consider that the bodies are in a weightless state and the gravitational force will act on them. This force will be as great as the weight of this body.
If a greater force acts on something, it will most likely move faster. Is my reasoning correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is that no force or weight can be measured during pure free fall.
If you could use a measuring device, the fall would not be free.

Likes davenn
tomlib said:
I read on Wikipedia ...
Can you link to the specific page in question? It seems like you may be misremembering the quote.

Galileo presumably did an experiment in the late 16th century in which he dropped two objects of different weight from the top of the tower of Pisa and found they reached the ground below at the same time. Unfortunately there is no video of it. However, US astronauts repeated Galileo's experiment on the Moon and made a recording. They dropped a feather and a hammer through the airless space above the surface and verified that Galileo was right when the feather and the hammer hit the ground at the same time.

Likes davenn, vanhees71 and Lnewqban
tomlib said:
If a greater force acts on something, it will most likely move faster. Is my reasoning correct?
What is the relationship between force and acceleration? (Hint: F=ma). So, while the mass influences the force of gravity, it also influences the acceleration. If you write out the force due to gravity, and also the acceleration you will see, the mass "cancels out."

EDIT
tomlib said:
I read on Wikipedia that when a body is in free fall from zero mass

I'm not sure what "... from zero mass" means.

Last edited:
Likes Dale, vanhees71 and russ_watters
https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volný_pád

I think zero mass means the zero begin speed. I use translator.

I don't know much about the formula and I don't exactly understand the shortening in the article. The formula and reasoning must be wrong. It is clear that when I say that as force increases, acceleration must also increase. Strength increases with body weight. If I push the car with more force it will move faster. Again, a place is offered here for the description of such a phenomenon, i.e. the necessary initial force,
the fact of measuring speed and force. Free fall could be measured on video, but it is difficult to test it somewhere. It seems to me that a=F*m, where g is substituted for F.

tomlib said:
It seems to me that a=F*m, where g is substituted for F.
Not exactly. ##F \neq g##$$F_\text{gravity} = mg$$The force of gravity on an object increases when you increase gravity. It also increases when you give the object more mass.

But we also know that$$\sum F=ma$$If gravity is the only force operating then ##\sum F = F_\text{gravity}##. So$$a = g$$.

Likes PeroK and russ_watters
At the risk of pointing out the obvious, this is an extremely easy proposition to experiment.

Just drop two reasonably compact items of meaningfully different masses: off a ladder, second floor window, the front porch, whatever. Great accuracy in measurement should not be needed, just make sure that there aren't hurricane force winds present, and that object B is about 3 or 4 times the mass of object A. Repeat several times. Have an assistant near the landing zone to watch the impacts just to be sure.

Should give you all the working data (within a reasonable range of accuracy) that you need.

Likes Dale and Lnewqban
tomlib said:
Hello. I read on Wikipedia that when a body is in free fall from zero mass, its mass does not matter and two bodies of different weights will fall at the same speed. I think this is not correct. If I consider that the bodies are in a weightless state and the gravitational force will act on them. This force will be as great as the weight of this body.
i think what was said in more technical terms, is that yes, you have more "force" due to a higher weight (which is a force) but the mass is greater, so it cancels out. 9.8Newtons on a 1kg object will accelerate at 9.8meter/sec/sec (acceleration). since acceleration (g) is constant, if increase the mass to 2kg, that will raise the weight of the object to 19.6Newtons, and the acceleration is still 9.8mpsps......... later you can investigate why the object is weightless when it falls, but still accelerates with respect to the ground..... hmmm it seems the ground is accelerating up to the object.... see Einstein and the bending and warping of space time as a cause.

tomlib said:
It is clear that when I say that as force increases, acceleration must also increase.
Yeah, but if you increase the mass by the same ratio as you increase the force, the acceleration will not change.

Likes Dale

• Love
Likes davenn

1. Does mass affect the acceleration of an object in free fall?

Yes, mass does affect the acceleration of an object in free fall. The greater the mass of an object, the greater the force of gravity acting on it and therefore the greater its acceleration will be.

2. What is the relationship between mass and weight in free fall?

In free fall, mass and weight are directly proportional. This means that as the mass of an object increases, its weight (the force of gravity acting on it) also increases.

3. How does air resistance affect the acceleration of an object in free fall?

Air resistance can affect the acceleration of an object in free fall by slowing it down. This is because air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of an object. Therefore, the greater the air resistance, the slower the acceleration of the object will be.

4. Is the acceleration of an object in free fall constant?

Yes, the acceleration of an object in free fall is constant. This is because the only force acting on the object is gravity, which is a constant force. Therefore, the acceleration of the object will remain the same throughout its free fall.

5. Does the shape or size of an object affect its acceleration in free fall?

No, the shape or size of an object does not affect its acceleration in free fall. As long as the object is falling in a vacuum (where there is no air resistance), the acceleration will be the same regardless of its shape or size.