Connecting homomorphism question

• Thread starter panzervlad
  • Start date
In summary: Rham group of U∩V is exact, this means that the connecting homomorphism must be surjective. Otherwise, there would exist an element in the n-deRham group of V that does not have a preimage in the (n-1) deRham group of U∩V, contradicting the exactness of the induced map.Therefore, we can conclude that the connecting homomorphism is indeed surjective, and by the isomorphism theorems, we can then show that the n-deRham group of n-sphere is isomorphic to R, as desired.In summary, the connecting homomorphism in the cohomology of an n-sphere is surjective because of the exact
panzervlad
For the cohomology of a n-sphere, I am having difficulty explicitly showing that the connecting homomorphism from (n-1) deRham group of U∩V which is isomorphic to (n - 1) sphere (which is simply R) to the n-deRham group of n-sphere is surjective!

On the exact long sequence, I have showed that i*-j* leading up to (n-1) deRham group of U∩V from the trivial deRham group of the direct sum U,V open covers of the sphere iso. to Rn is injective.

By definition of long sequence, (n-1) deRham group of U∩V is exact.

Now I am missing to explicitly show connecting homomorphism is surjective that way I can use the isomorphism theorems to show that

n-deRham group of n-sphere = R \ I am i*-j* where this image is trivial leaving us that this group is isomorphic to R.

I solved this problem by just explicitly making a homomorphism from each group which has an inverse, both right and left, hence it is isomorphic. But I'm having trouble using the isomorphism theorems, zigzag lemma to prove the isomorphism. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
panzervlad said:
For the cohomology of a n-sphere, I am having difficulty explicitly showing that the connecting homomorphism from (n-1) deRham group of U∩V which is isomorphic to (n - 1) sphere (which is simply R) to the n-deRham group of n-sphere is surjective!

On the exact long sequence, I have showed that i*-j* leading up to (n-1) deRham group of U∩V from the trivial deRham group of the direct sum U,V open covers of the sphere iso. to Rn is injective.

By definition of long sequence, (n-1) deRham group of U∩V is exact.

Now I am missing to explicitly show connecting homomorphism is surjective that way I can use the isomorphism theorems to show that

n-deRham group of n-sphere = R \ I am i*-j* where this image is trivial leaving us that this group is isomorphic to R.

I solved this problem by just explicitly making a homomorphism from each group which has an inverse, both right and left, hence it is isomorphic. But I'm having trouble using the isomorphism theorems, zigzag lemma to prove the isomorphism. Thanks

The cohomology of U and V are both zero except in dimension zero. Thus the connecting homomorphism is surjective.

Thank you for sharing your difficulty with the connecting homomorphism in the cohomology of an n-sphere. It can be a tricky concept to grasp, but I will try my best to explain it in a way that may help you.

First, let's review the definition of the connecting homomorphism. In the long exact sequence of cohomology groups, the connecting homomorphism is the map that connects the cohomology group of U∩V to the cohomology group of V. In other words, it takes an element in the (n-1) deRham group of U∩V and maps it to an element in the n-deRham group of V.

Now, in order to show that the connecting homomorphism is surjective, we need to show that for any element in the n-deRham group of V, there exists an element in the (n-1) deRham group of U∩V that maps to it under the connecting homomorphism. This means that every element in the n-deRham group of V has a preimage in the (n-1) deRham group of U∩V.

One way to do this is by constructing an explicit map from the n-deRham group of V to the (n-1) deRham group of U∩V. This is what you have done by creating a homomorphism with an inverse. However, as you mentioned, we can also use the isomorphism theorems and the zigzag lemma to show this.

The zigzag lemma states that if we have two exact sequences that are connected by a series of homomorphisms, then the induced maps between the corresponding cohomology groups are also exact. In our case, we have the exact sequence of the (n-1) deRham group of U∩V, the connecting homomorphism, and the n-deRham group of V. This is connected to the trivial deRham group of the direct sum of U and V, which is isomorphic to Rn, by the maps i* and j*. So, by the zigzag lemma, we know that the induced map between the (n-1) deRham group of U∩V and the n-deRham group of V is also exact.

Now, since we have already shown that the (n-1)

1. What is a connecting homomorphism?

A connecting homomorphism is a type of homomorphism in abstract algebra that connects two groups or algebraic structures. It is a function that preserves the operations and properties of the two groups, allowing for a relationship to be established between them.

2. How is a connecting homomorphism different from a regular homomorphism?

A connecting homomorphism is unique in that it not only preserves the operations and properties of the two groups, but also establishes a relationship between them. Regular homomorphisms do not necessarily have this connecting aspect.

3. What is the purpose of a connecting homomorphism?

The purpose of a connecting homomorphism is to establish a bridge or connection between two groups or algebraic structures. This allows for the study and comparison of different groups, and can also help in proving certain properties or theorems.

4. How is a connecting homomorphism used in real-world applications?

Connecting homomorphisms have many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of engineering, computer science, and physics. They are used to model and analyze complex systems, such as electrical circuits and data networks, and to understand the relationships between different physical phenomena.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions on connecting homomorphisms?

There are certain restrictions on connecting homomorphisms, such as the requirement that the two groups being connected must have the same operation and properties. Additionally, the connecting homomorphism must be a one-to-one and onto function, and must preserve the identity and inverse elements of the groups.