Connected sum of manifolds and free group isomorphisms

In summary: I don't see why there would be an open ball in ##N## that extends the manifold ##M## into ##N##.Try the example of Euclidean space with the standard Euclidean metric minus an open ball.The Euclidean space minus an open ball is an open set.
PsychonautQQ
Let ##M## and ##N## be connected n-manifolds, n>2. Prove that the fundamental group of ##M#N## (the connected sum of ##M## and ##N##) is isomorphic to ##\pi(M)* \pi(N)## (the free group of the fundamental groups of ##M## and ##N##)

This is not for homework, I was hoping to get some insight here. Can anyone help me get started on how to show this?

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:
Let ##M## and ##N## be connected n-manifolds, n>2. Prove that the fundamental group of ##M#N## (the connected sum of ##M## and ##N##) is isomorphic to ##\pi(M)* \pi(N)## (the free group of the fundamental groups of ##M## and ##N##)

This is not for homework, I was hoping to get some insight here. Can anyone help me get started on how to show this?

Did you try Van Kampen's Theorem?

Likes PsychonautQQ
PsychonautQQ said:

@PsychonautQQ I would be interested to see your proof.

##n>2## is important,

Last edited:
Likes PsychonautQQ
PsychonautQQ said:
Don't you mean free product of the two groups? I would suggest tinker with familiar and extreme cases: trivial groups on one , both, and known cases, for motivation/context.

Likes PsychonautQQ
lavinia said:
@PsychonautQQ I would be interested to see your proof.

##n>2## is important,
##n>2## is what makes the intersection of the two open sets simply connected. I am trying to think of a way to pick an open set for ##M## such that it 'reaches' into ##N## a little bit and is still open and also can deformation retract back into ##M##. That way the fundamental group of this open set will still be ##\pi(M)## and if I find a similar neighborhood that 'reaches' into ##M## and contains ##N## then I think I will be good.

PsychonautQQ said:
##n>2## is what makes the intersection of the two open sets simply connected. I am trying to think of a way to pick an open set for ##M## such that it 'reaches' into ##N## a little bit and is still open and also can deformation retract back into ##M##. That way the fundamental group of this open set will still be ##\pi(M)## and if I find a similar neighborhood that 'reaches' into ##M## and contains ##N## then I think I will be good.

Right.

Notice that when you do the deformation retractions you will retract onto ##M## minus an open ball and ##N## minus an open ball.

Likes PsychonautQQ
lavinia said:
Right.

Notice that when you do the deformation retractions you will retract onto ##M## minus an open ball and ##N## minus an open ball.
and ##\pi(M)## is isomorphic to ##\pi(M-b)## where b is a euclidean ball (for ##n>2##).

But how do I choose an open neighborhood ##U## such that ##M## reaches into ##N## a bit?

PsychonautQQ said:
and ##\pi(M)## is isomorphic to ##\pi(M-b)## where b is a euclidean ball (for ##n>2##).

But how do I choose an open neighborhood ##U## such that ##M## reaches into ##N## a bit?

How did you choose it for a manifold minus an open ball?

lavinia said:
How did you choose it for a manifold minus an open ball?
The whole manifold minus the boundary of the open ball? I'm not sure actually.

PsychonautQQ said:
The whole manifold minus the boundary of the open ball? I'm not sure actually.

Try the example of Euclidean space with the standard Euclidean metric minus an open ball.

Likes PsychonautQQ
The Euclidean space minus an open ball is an open set.
So in the case of Manifolds we can take a manifold minus a neighborhood homeomorphic to a euclidean ball and it will still be open. Therefore when 'reaching' into ##N## we can just union an open Euclidean ball in ##N## with ##M## and it will be an open set.

PsychonautQQ said:
The Euclidean space minus an open ball is an open set.

Euclidean space minus an open ball is a closed set.

So in the case of Manifolds we can take a manifold minus a neighborhood homeomorphic to a euclidean ball and it will still be open. Therefore when 'reaching' into ##N## we can just union an open Euclidean ball in ##N## with ##M## and it will be an open set.

I don't see why there would be an open ball in ##N## that extends the manifold ##M## into ##N##.

Last edited:
Then how do I use Seifert Van-Kampen's theorem?

PsychonautQQ said:
Then how do I use Seifert Van-Kampen's theorem?

Without giving it away, there will be a different open set that extends ##N## into ##M##.

Likes PsychonautQQ
N union an open set contained within the boundary of the disk we remove from M when forming the connected sum?

PsychonautQQ said:
N union an open set contained within the boundary of the disk we remove from M when forming the connected sum?

Can you show me an open set in ##M## that is contained in the boundary of the removed disk?

1. What is the connected sum of manifolds?

The connected sum of manifolds is a mathematical operation that combines two manifolds by removing a small open disk from each and gluing the resulting boundaries together.

2. What is a free group isomorphism?

A free group isomorphism is a bijective homomorphism between two free groups, which are groups generated by a set of elements with no additional relations imposed on them.

3. What is the significance of the connected sum of manifolds and free group isomorphisms?

The connected sum of manifolds and free group isomorphisms have important applications in topology, algebra, and geometry. They allow for the creation of new manifolds and the study of their properties.

4. How is the connected sum of manifolds and free group isomorphisms calculated?

The calculation of the connected sum of manifolds involves removing a small open disk from each manifold and then gluing the resulting boundaries together. The calculation of a free group isomorphism involves finding a bijective homomorphism between the two groups.

5. What are some real-world examples of the connected sum of manifolds and free group isomorphisms?

The connected sum of manifolds and free group isomorphisms can be seen in the study of knots, surfaces, and 3-dimensional spaces. They also have applications in physics, such as in string theory and the study of black holes.