Connection between polynomials and Pascal's triangle

In summary, the conversation discusses a pattern found in polynomials where the coefficients are the rows of Pascal's Triangle. The Binomial Theorem and finite differences are mentioned as possible explanations, but the reason for this pattern remains unclear.
LightningB0LT
I recently discovered that for a 3rd degree polynomial I was studying, f(5) - 4f(4) + 6f(3) - 4f(2) + f(1) = 0. At first I just though it was coincidental that the coefficients were the 5th row of Pascal's Triangle, but then I tried a 2nd degree polynomial and found that f(4) - 3f(3) + 3f(2) - f(1) = 0, which is the 4th row. The same thing worked for 1st and 4th degree polynomials I tried, using the 3rd and 6th row as coefficients. I've tried to reason through why this might be the case, but without success. Can someone explain this to me? Thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
LightningB0LT said:
I recently discovered that for a 3rd degree polynomial I was studying, f(5) - 4f(4) + 6f(3) - 4f(2) + f(1) = 0.

Another way of looking at the same equation is that expresses f(5) in terms of the value of the polynomial at previous consecutive values: f(5) = 4f(4) - 6f(3) + 4f(2) - f(1) and so this link might be relevant: http://ckrao.wordpress.com/2012/02/28/finite-differences-for-polynomial-extrapolation/

1. What is the relationship between polynomials and Pascal's triangle?

The coefficients of a binomial expansion are represented by the numbers in Pascal's triangle. This means that the terms in a polynomial can be found by using the corresponding row in Pascal's triangle.

2. How does Pascal's triangle help in understanding polynomials?

Pascal's triangle provides a visual representation of the coefficients in a binomial expansion, which helps in understanding the patterns and relationships between the terms in a polynomial.

3. Can Pascal's triangle be used to factor polynomials?

Yes, Pascal's triangle can be used to factor polynomials by identifying common factors between the coefficients in a binomial expansion.

4. How does the degree of a polynomial relate to Pascal's triangle?

The degree of a polynomial is equal to the number of the row in Pascal's triangle where the coefficients are located. For example, a polynomial of degree 3 would have its coefficients in the fourth row of Pascal's triangle.

5. What other mathematical concepts can be related to Pascal's triangle?

Pascal's triangle can also be used to find combinations and probabilities, as well as to solve problems in statistics and number theory.