Connections (principal bundles) ....

• I
  • Thread starter kent davidge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bundles
In summary, connections on principal bundles are a more general concept than affine connections on tangent bundles. They involve an additional continuous group operation and can be formulated in terms of a bundle of frames.
kent davidge
I read about connections on principal bundles. I don't have the knowledge nor the time to learn about principal bundles in the first place. Never the less this makes me wonder if such connections are the same as those talked about in the context of tangent vector spaces. Are they the same thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
I read about connections on principal bundles. I don't have the knowledge nor the time to learn about principal bundles in the first place. Never the less this makes me wonder if such connections are the same as those talked about in the context of tangent vector spaces. Are they the same thing?
Yes, equipped with an additional, continuous group operation which allows to jump from one point to another via elements of the group.

Likes dextercioby and kent davidge
Connections on principal bundles are more general and in general do not correspond to an affine connection on the tangent bundle. One can formulate the usual idea of an affine connection in terms of a connection on the principal bundle of linearly independent tangent frames.

Last edited:
Likes dextercioby and kent davidge
If you don't have the time for principal bundles in general, you could read up on bundles of frames.

Likes kent davidge

1. What is a principal bundle?

A principal bundle is a mathematical structure that describes the relationship between a base space and a fiber. It consists of a base space, a group acting on the base space, and a fiber that is associated with each point on the base space.

2. What are the connections in a principal bundle?

Connections in a principal bundle are mathematical objects that describe how the fiber is attached to the base space. They provide a way to compare different fibers at different points on the base space and are essential for understanding the geometry of the bundle.

3. What is the role of curvature in principal bundles?

Curvature plays a crucial role in principal bundles as it measures how much the fiber twists or bends as we move along the base space. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the geometry of the bundle and is closely related to the connections.

4. How are principal bundles used in physics?

In physics, principal bundles are used to describe the symmetries of physical systems. They are particularly useful in gauge theories, such as electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces, where they provide a geometric framework for understanding the interactions between particles.

5. What are some real-world applications of principal bundles?

Principal bundles have a wide range of applications in various fields, including differential geometry, topology, and physics. They are used in the study of differential equations, quantum field theory, general relativity, and computer vision, to name a few. They also have applications in engineering, such as in control theory and robotics.