1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation Laws - conceptual help

1. Sep 24, 2006 #1
    Here's the question:

"An astronnaut working with many tools some distance away from a spacecraft is stranded when the "manueving unit" malfunctions. How can the astronaut return to the spacecraft by sacrificing some of the tools?"

I don't quite understand what they're getting at here. The best I could relate this to was the conservation law...:frown:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2006 #2
    Think about shooting a rifle, what happens to your shoulder. Now how can you relate that to newtons 3rd law. If you need more help, ask, I am just trying to make you think :)
  4. Sep 24, 2006 #3
    I see, so it's referencing an issue relating to force rather than a law. So, the astronaut would need to throw the tools which in turn the tool being thrown offers a force back on the astronaut causing him to move towards the craft...
  5. Sep 24, 2006 #4
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?