1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Symmetries and Conservation Laws

1. May 14, 2018 #1
    I've been caught by a quite interesting statement of Berkeley physics Course Vol.1 (Chap. 5), that says "In the physical world there exist a number of conservation laws, some exact and some approximate. A conservation law is usually the consequence of some underlying symmetry in the universe.".

I made a quick search on internet and found that a good thing to understand best this relationship between symmetries in a physical system and conservation laws, is the understanding of the so called "Noether's Theorem". I'd like to know if anyone has a better suggestion. My specific desire is to be able to identify which symmetry causes that particular conservation and why (for ex. I know the homogeneity of space is the cause of the conservation of linear momentum, but I haven't think about why).

Thank you!
    Luke.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2018 #2

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

4. May 14, 2018 #3
    That's a quite common "myth": actually the "homogeneity of space" has nothing to do with momentum conservation. This law comes instead from the "translations invariance of the system's Lagrangian" . If you are an high school student, this can be a good reason to study physics at university: probably you cannot completely understand the meaning of this (as others) invariance without a good knowledge of physics and mathematics.

--
    lightarrow

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted