Conservation of Angular Momentum Experiment: Moment of Inertia

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
chrismoon
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I did a lab where there was a rotating solid disk with mass= 0.915kg and diameter=0.253m.
This was rotating horizontally with an initial angular velocity of 3 different values ω radians/second. After recording the initial angular velocity, I dropped a thin-walled hollow cylinder with mass=0.708kg and diameter=0.125m in the center and measured the final angular velocity, testing the conservation of angular momentum.

Issue: If I placed the ring off center of the disk by say, 1cm (0.01m), how will that affect my moment of inertia?


Homework Equations


Idisk=(1/2)(Mass)(radius)2
Ihoop/hollow cylinder=(Mass)(radius)2
Li=Idiskωdisk initial
Lf=(Idisk+Ihoop/hollow cylinder)ωcombined final

The Attempt at a Solution


First, I calculated the moments of inertia-
Idisk=(1/2)(Mass)(radius)2=(1/2)(0.915kg)(0.253m/2)2=0.00732kgm2

Ihoop/hollow cylinder=(Mass)(radius)2=(0.708kg)(0.125m/2)2=0.00277kgm2

Icombined=(0.00732kgm2)+(0.00277kgm2)=0.01009kgm2

The Icombined is for the ideal situation of the ring being completely centered, but I have no idea what I would do to get the experimentally flawed moment of inertia. Would I just change the radius of the hoop/cylinder by 1cm? If so, would I add or subtract? I'm really not sure how I'd calculate it. I understand this all generally pretty well, but executing this has me a little stumped. I need a way to get the new final moment of inertia instead of the ideal (Idisk+Ihoop/hollow cylinder) to calculate a percent error.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, chrismoon. Have you studied the "parallel axis theorem"? You can use it to calculate the moment of inertia of the hollow cylinder when it is placed off-center on the disk.
 
have you used the parallel axis theorem?

ok then...

late again, sorry. Its getting strange how I am right behind Tnsy.

I will now bow out again.
 
Last edited: