Conservation of angular momentum

In summary: The pseudo forces are just a way of saying that the angular momentum is conserved about any point on the rod, even if the ball doesn't hit the rod's mass centre.
Saitama

Homework Statement

(see attachment)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the angular momentum can be conserved about any point on the rod because torque is zero about any point on the rod. But that's not the correct answer. :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• Angular momentum.jpg
    Angular momentum.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 475
Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

(see attachment) [ IMG]https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=55391&d=1360078065[/PLAIN]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the angular momentum can be conserved about any point on the rod because torque is zero about any point on the rod. But that's not the correct answer. :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that you are correct. It will be difficult to calculate the angular momentum for any point that's in an accelerating reference frame (one that's not inertial).

The center of mass will travel with constant velocity -- both before and after the collision. It will be easy to calculate the angular momentum w. r. t. the center of mass. That choice was not given explicitly.

The above question is from a test paper.

The solution booklet of the test says that its D. In the booklet, a single line is mentioned "Conceptual, torque of pseudo force" with no explanation. I don't have a clue what this means. How come pseudo forces come into play here?

Horrible question. Angular momentum of what? If rod+ball then A. If they mean of just the rod, and the ball does not strike its mass centre, then D. I think the explanation they give refers to decomposing the impulse into a linear impulse at the mass centre of the rod plus a torque impulse. That linear impulse will conserve the angular momentum, but a nonzero torque impulse cannot.

haruspex said:
If rod+ball then A. If they mean of just the rod, and the ball does not strike its mass centre, then D. I think the explanation they give refers to decomposing the impulse into a linear impulse at the mass centre of the rod plus a torque impulse. That linear impulse will conserve the angular momentum, but a nonzero torque impulse cannot.

Lol, that made my head spin. Can you explain it in a simpler way? :smile:

If I jump up and down, my momentum is not conserved, but that of the system me+planet is. In this problem, the rod+ball system must have its angular momentum conserved, no matter which inertial frame of reference you choose to measure it in. That's because the only external forces (gravity, normal force from table) cancel.
If the answer is not A, then I guess they just meant the ang mom of the rod (but it's awful they don't make this clear).
In general, a force applied at some point, P, is completely equivalent to a parallel force of the same magnitude applied at some other point, Q, plus an appropriate torque. The torque is the vector product of the original force and the vector P-Q. So if the ball strikes the rod away from the rod's mass centre, we can equate the impulse to an impulse at the mass centre plus an impulsive torque.
Clearly an impulse at the rod's mass centre will not change its angular momentum, but an impulsive torque (which is an amount of angular momentum) will changes its ang mom by that amount.

haruspex said:
If I jump up and down, my momentum is not conserved, but that of the system me+planet is. In this problem, the rod+ball system must have its angular momentum conserved, no matter which inertial frame of reference you choose to measure it in. That's because the only external forces (gravity, normal force from table) cancel.
If the answer is not A, then I guess they just meant the ang mom of the rod (but it's awful they don't make this clear).
In general, a force applied at some point, P, is completely equivalent to a parallel force of the same magnitude applied at some other point, Q, plus an appropriate torque. The torque is the vector product of the original force and the vector P-Q. So if the ball strikes the rod away from the rod's mass centre, we can equate the impulse to an impulse at the mass centre plus an impulsive torque.
Clearly an impulse at the rod's mass centre will not change its angular momentum, but an impulsive torque (which is an amount of angular momentum) will changes its ang mom by that amount.

I understand it now, thanks! :smile:

But what about the pseudo forces mentioned in the booklet?

Pranav-Arora said:
I understand it now, thanks! :smile:

But what about the pseudo forces mentioned in the booklet?

I'm guessing, but that's all, that it's a reference to decomposing the off-centre force into a force and a torque.

haruspex said:
I'm guessing, but that's all, that it's a reference to decomposing the off-centre force into a force and a torque.

I still don't get it. :confused:

The conservation of angular momentum applies for the system rod+ball, and you can use any fix point of reference. The rod will move, so no point on it is fixed.

ehild

ehild said:
The conservation of angular momentum applies for the system rod+ball, and you can use any fix point of reference. The rod will move, so no point on it is fixed.
This puts a different slant on the question. I was reading it in the sense of using conservation of angular momentum to determine the speed and rotation immediately after collision. For that, I believe any point on the rod can be used (since there is no difference between choosing that point on the rod and the same point in the static frame). But if the idea is to take moments sometime later, then I agree this will not do.
So now we have three or four interpretations of the question, and no sound basis to choose between them. Yuk.

Is the booklet answer meaningless?

Pranav-Arora said:
Is the booklet answer meaningless?
Yes.

D H said:
Yes.

I don't understand why they include such wrong questions. The previously asked question and this one are both from the same test paper.

Anyways, thanks everyone for your help! :smile:

What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum is a physical law that states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, unless acted upon by an external torque.

How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion) by the angular velocity (the rate at which the object is rotating).

What are some examples of conservation of angular momentum in everyday life?

Some examples of conservation of angular momentum in everyday life include ice skaters spinning faster by pulling their arms in closer to their body, a spinning top maintaining its rotation due to its angular momentum, and a figure skater performing a pirouette by pushing off the ground with one leg.

How does conservation of angular momentum relate to Newton's first law of motion?

Conservation of angular momentum is related to Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, which states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of angular momentum, the external force would be a torque that changes the object's rotational motion.

What are the implications of the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum has many implications in physics, including its role in the stability of rotating objects, its use in understanding the motion of celestial bodies, and its application in engineering and technology, such as in the design of gyroscopes.