1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Energy and Centripetal Motion Question

1. Apr 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A skier starts at rest on the top of Mt Circular, a strange, smooth, icy hill shaped like a hemisphere. The hill has a constant radius of R. Neglecting friction (it is icy!), show that the skier will leave the surface of the hill and become air-borne at a vertical distance of h=R/3, measured from the top of the hill.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=mv[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]/[/tex]r
    mg[tex]\Delta[/tex]y=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv[tex]^{2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have found one question exactly like this one on the forum and I understand that when the skier leaves the hill, the normal force will be 0, but I keep getting R/2 as an answer.

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=Fn+mg
    0=[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F-mg
    0=[tex]\frac{mv^{2}}{R}[/tex]-mg
    v=[tex]\sqrt{gR}[/tex]

Substituting this into the conservation of energy equation you get:

mg[tex]\Delta[/tex]y=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv[tex]^{2}[/tex]
    mg[tex]\Delta[/tex]y=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mgR
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]y=[tex]\frac{mgR}{2mg}[/tex]
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]y=[tex]\frac{R}{2}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Is it reasonable to assume that the skier is in centripetal motion?
    The only thig i don't understand is how the skier can have a normal force of zero at any other point than at [tex]\frac{R}{2}[/tex] because at the point the angle between the skier and the vertical will be 90 degrees. If you use the equation [tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=mgcos[tex]\Theta[/tex]+mg where mgcos[tex]\Theta[/tex], which is the noraml force, can only equal 0 at 90 degrees. If the skier is leaving somewhere between 0 and 90 degrees how can this be calculated?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2008 #2
    hello cblack, your physical concept is correct. you almost got it. you just left out [tex]\theta[/tex] somewhere it should be.
    try to find v in terms of [tex]\theta[/tex] using conservation of E.
    then construct equation of motion. Be careful the v here also relates to [tex]\theta[/tex]. then you can solve for [tex]\theta[/tex] :smile:

4. Apr 12, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Realize that the weight acts vertically, not centripetally. (Find the radial components of the forces.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?